IMG_0075.jpeg

Need help figuring out what this is

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do I do with it? Is a sponge dangerous for my fish? (I’m new at this this is my first tank)
You can leave it alone or remove it if you want - sponges are harmless/beneficial for your fish, and generally harmless for anything else you could want to keep as well.

If it spreads more than you're comfortable with or if you just don't like how it looks, then there are a variety of things you can try to get rid if it, but they're not always effective long-term.

Upvote 0

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a sponge they are filter feeders. Did you add an liverock other than the dry rock that we can see in the picture? Any corals with plugs that it could have hitchhiked in on?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Drmolar3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a sponge they are filter feeders. Did you add an liverock other than the dry rock that we can see in the picture? Any corals with plugs that it could have hitchhiked in on?
yea I got a small bit of live rock and some flakes of coraline algae from an already established tank at a fish store I also have a bunch of hermit crabs and snails idk if it could have hitchhiked in on those.

Upvote 0

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I got a small bit of live rock and some flakes of coraline algae from an already established tank at a fish store I also have a bunch of hermit crabs and snails idk if it could have hitchhiked in on those.
If you have a little bit of actual live rock that is where it came from.

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 163 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back