OP
OP
S

Starliah1111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to try a few times to get it to work on my phone. I can try to upload again. See if it helps...

Attachments

• VID-20240510-WA0003.mp4
    2.9 MB

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video works for me. It appears to be a filter feeder of some sort, you can see it catching particles out of the water column. Looks like live rock from the ocean? Could be a cucumber but I dont think so. It is more likely a filter feeding worm that I can not remember the name of. It isnt a vermatid snail. I dont think it is directly dangerous or detrimental to tank inhabitants. Lets see if @ISpeakForTheSeas might know. I would still upload the video to youtube that way more will be able to see it.

OP
OP
S

Starliah1111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video works for me. It appears to be a filter feeder of some sort, you can see it catching particles out of the water column. Looks like live rock from the ocean? Could be a cucumber but I dont think so. It is more likely a filter feeding worm that I can not remember the name of. It isnt a vermatid snail. I dont think it is directly dangerous or detrimental to tank inhabitants. Lets see if @ISpeakForTheSeas might know. I would still upload the video to youtube that way more will be able to see it.
Awesome, thank you. Will try you tube tomorrow and post the link

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a filter-feeding sea cucumber to me - the branches on the tentacles are generally a pretty good indicator there (completely seriously, though, if you know of a worm with similar, I'd love to learn about it).

Assuming it's a cucumber, it shouldn't be harmful unless something is picking on it/harassing it, or - in some cases - unless it's dying.

Long story short, sea cucumbers contain an ichthyotoxin (fish-toxin) known as holothurin in variable amounts dependent on the species: some sea cucumbers will release the toxin very easily (typically through eviscerating themselves and spewing their toxic organs into the water - most species can regrow them in a few weeks), others literally won't release it even if they're being eaten alive - so the level of danger depends on the individual cucumber and its species.

That said, incidents where these released toxins have caused problems in our tanks are incredibly rare (I only know of two or three "cuke nukes" currently, so they're definitely extreme outliers by all accounts that I've seen at this point), so I wouldn't be too concerned. Some people have had their cukes eviscerate without any issues whatsoever, but, to be safe, I always suggest having some premixed saltwater and carbon ready to run just in case your cuke releases its toxins into the tank.

Anyway, so just make sure nothing is bothering it (relatively few things in our tanks should harass sea cucumbers) and that it's well-fed (you can feed it phytoplankton like Isochrysis galbana (T-Iso), Tetraselmis sp., Thalassiosira sp., and Chaetoceros sp. or a blend containing multiple of these) and it shouldn't be a problem at all.

OP
OP
S

Starliah1111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a filter-feeding sea cucumber to me - the branches on the tentacles are generally a pretty good indicator there (completely seriously, though, if you know of a worm with similar, I'd love to learn about it).

Assuming it's a cucumber, it shouldn't be harmful unless something is picking on it/harassing it, or - in some cases - unless it's dying.

Long story short, sea cucumbers contain an ichthyotoxin (fish-toxin) known as holothurin in variable amounts dependent on the species: some sea cucumbers will release the toxin very easily (typically through eviscerating themselves and spewing their toxic organs into the water - most species can regrow them in a few weeks), others literally won't release it even if they're being eaten alive - so the level of danger depends on the individual cucumber and its species.

That said, incidents where these released toxins have caused problems in our tanks are incredibly rare (I only know of two or three "cuke nukes" currently, so they're definitely extreme outliers by all accounts that I've seen at this point), so I wouldn't be too concerned. Some people have had their cukes eviscerate without any issues whatsoever, but, to be safe, I always suggest having some premixed saltwater and carbon ready to run just in case your cuke releases its toxins into the tank.

Anyway, so just make sure nothing is bothering it (relatively few things in our tanks should harass sea cucumbers) and that it's well-fed (you can feed it phytoplankton like Isochrysis galbana (T-Iso), Tetraselmis sp., Thalassiosira sp., and Chaetoceros sp. or a blend containing multiple of these) and it shouldn't be a problem at all.
Thank you, awesome information ☺️

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had to try a few times to get it to work on my phone. I can try to upload again. See if it helps...
I see tube worm, colonial hydroids and sea cucumber - relation - all are filter feeders

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back