What is your strategy (if any) for shaping corals and influencing their growth patterns?

What do you do (if anything) to shape the corals in your tank? (multiple selections accepted)

• Total voters

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to think of our reef tanks as little bonsai gardens. In the wild these coral colonies grow to huge proportions, but in even the largest tanks the colonies are miniature versions of what we see in the wild. In the most beautiful tanks, the corals have been positioned and grown in patterns that not only look natural but give a striking aesthetic.

I'm curious to what extent folks in our hobbies employ similar techniques to bonsai to purposefully achieve a desired look. Do you let your corals grow wild? Or have you learned from experience how trimming and positioning with respect to flow and light influence coral growth patterns? And do you use this knowledge to achieve a desired shape?

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS collection is starting to grow out to the point to where I'lll need to start trimming to prevent touching. Meaningful growth takes so long though that I'm pretty nervous about doing more than that.

I don't have a lot of experience observing the impacts of trimming and so don't have a lot of confidence in cutting back more to to try to alter the overall shape or growth pattern.

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is another interesting one - I have read that higher flow yields thicker growth, but I haven't heard much about other ways flow impacts growth patterns. Do you observe that your corals grow into the flow? away from the flow? How have you seen flow impact the shape of your corals?

In my tank I don't know that I've observed any specific impacts that I can attribute to flow by I am waiting to see as if that changes as things continue to grow out.

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also - I probably should have worded my poll differently, but I'm imaging by "using flow to shape corals" I really mean position powerhead etc. to create flow that I think will yield desirable formations.

For light, we know that corals are going to grow towards the light, but you might mount a frag in a particular orientation in anticipation of that growth.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snip my hammer corals when they get to close to the glass or reposition them so they fill out certain areas.

This looks like one solid colony, at one point it was. Then I had some polyp loss and I broke it apart. I had some of it mounted where the main colony was growing directly up and there were two lower polyps on the right by themselves. I repositioned the big piece so it filled in next to the right polyps.
20230319_183433_HDR.jpg

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I’m at the same point and have already let nature take its course. Will take some pics soon to share.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much just let nature do its thing but try to allow enough room when I place a coral for that to happen. I will say that my display is a bit wild and woolly!

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 48 47.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • All of the above

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back