What kind of damselfish is this?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all,

Got five of these awesome little damselfish at my LFS today… completely forgot what they’re called. Any ideas?

EEA5E1FD-E9EE-4B71-B311-76E2761002E3.jpeg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Got five of these awesome little damselfish at my LFS today… completely forgot what they’re called. Any ideas?

EEA5E1FD-E9EE-4B71-B311-76E2761002E3.jpeg
Those are Neoglyphidodon crossi. They get about 4", turn black, and turn extremely aggresive with other fish as they grow older. Good luck catching them out in 6-12 months!

One of those species really not well suited to the aquarium trade unfortunately.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those are Neoglyphidodon crossi. They get about 4", turn black, and turn extremely aggresive with other fish as they grow older. Good luck catching them out in 6-12 months!

One of those species really not well suited to the aquarium trade unfortunately.
Oh how fun

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically damsels in the Chrysiptera genus are considered ideal for reefs. Examples would be Azure, Talbot's, Springer's, Starck's, and Rollands. If you want something a bit different then Biota has the Lyretail Damsels (Neopomacentrus azysron) which are nice. Typically under 2" in length, readily spawn, and active. I have 11 of them.

I've personally kept Azures, Talbots, Surge, Sapphires, and the current Lyretails. All great fish. Sapphires can get a bit bossy when they spawn as the males do a great job of protecting the eggs. New fish are a bit difficult to introduce once this happens.

If you need to remove the new fish you purchased get a fish trap and have patience. I've had great luck with TankMatez bubble fish trap but there are others that work. You just need to understand how the fish are in the display, their swim patterns, and eating of course. Then choose a bubble or rectangle trap and off you go.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Typically damsels in the Chrysiptera genus are considered ideal for reefs. Examples would be Azure, Talbot's, Springer's, Starck's, and Rollands. If you want something a bit different then Biota has the Lyretail Damsels (Neopomacentrus azysron) which are nice. Typically under 2" in length, readily spawn, and active. I have 11 of them.

I've personally kept Azures, Talbots, Surge, Sapphires, and the current Lyretails. All great fish. Sapphires can get a bit bossy when they spawn as the males do a great job of protecting the eggs. New fish are a bit difficult to introduce once this happens.

If you need to remove the new fish you purchased get a fish trap and have patience. I've had great luck with TankMatez bubble fish trap but there are others that work. You just need to understand how the fish are in the display, their swim patterns, and eating of course. Then choose a bubble or rectangle trap and off you go.
Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely be rehoming. First time my LFS leads me astray but man oh man ugh.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like a Blue stripe damsel (Chrysiptera brownggii) and can be territorial as with many camsels

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely be rehoming. First time my LFS leads me astray but man oh man ugh.

You are welcome. Note I don't know the type of damsel you have only commented on what is typically recommended around the web. Well I also added in what I've kept I guess.

Hope your day is well.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 162 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back