What piece of equipment has been your best investment?

c.declivisowner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing you have a tank, you might already have ATO. But if not ATO makes life a bunch better.

The single thing that made my personal tank better would have to be my Bubble King Skimmer. I just started a new tank up and went with a cheap skimmer in my opinion and it isn't anywhere close to as good. I'm thinking of getting a Vertex Alpha for the new tank now. Besides a quality skimmer things that can never really let you down is: Better lighting, Controller, Nice Sump. As well as if you don't already have an RODI, I'm guessing and hoping you do but if not that would be by far the best. Nice lighting will always make things look better, Fish, corals etc. Controller just add's safety and non essential products, but is nice to have, but it's definitely possible to go without. A nice organized sump would also be of large benefit. I upgraded my sump after a while and made a world of difference. Changing the socks, cleaning skimmer, removing detritus and the clean look made me want to and more willing to clean consistently. If you have to move a trillion things to change your sock you probably won't do it as much. When you have to slide on off and other on most likely it happens more often. In the end its about what your tank needs. You might need a new powerhead or reactor when I need new lighting. Just pick whatever is the weakest link in your system and upgrade it.

ecajoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 apex
2 radions
3 calcium reactor
4 mp40 and 60
My ato is just a float 12 dollar special

Spendley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO and my Hanna phosphate checker lol.

Oh! 5 gallon buckets too. I have four, could totally use more too. They rock.

OP
OP
Scribe

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of torn now between upgrading my skimmer and adding an Apex. I have an ATO, granted just a simple float switch, but it's been working great for me for years. Seems like a lot of people sure love there Apex's. It is all about automation and less work and more enjoyment.

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say,

Apex, Bubble-Magnus dosing pump, RODI system, not buying cheap stuff trying to cut corners.

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tie between dosing system and ATO.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Great question with so many possible answers as already mentioned above. Originally was going to say my Apex hands down as well but after reading all of the posts above thinking ATO by a hair over Apex followed by my SWC Doser. Going back 3+ decades in this hobby have had many 'greatest thing ever' purchases for my systems and just to get a perspective from an 'Old Salt' in rough order of key additions. Reliable submersible heaters, powerheads to replace air stones in lift tubes on under gravel filter plates, introduction of Protein skimmers, introduction of actinic lamps (T12 NO & VHO), readily available bulkhead fittings eliminating the need for J-tube/overflow boxes, affordable mostly accurate SW test kits, prop style power heads, LED lighting, commercially available ATO systems, controllers Neptune and DA, wave maker power heads and lastly my Apex Fusion. setup.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:

gacolt

JEEP STUFF
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ato is a big one aswell as a spare pump for water changes has made my life easier.switching from led to halides has made made my corals explode with growth.im hoping the next one will be my dosing pump

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. ATO (who wants to add a gallon of rodi everyday and swing salinity?)
2. Calcium rx
3. Chiller

I picked these three in order simply Because they make my life 10x easier when it comes to daily maintenance (no daily maintenance anymore!), and I simply couldn't have a reef tank without a chiller where I live.

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough question! I am leaning towards my APEX. The automation, leak detection, float switches, etc... So many good things happen out of this box. Good skimmers probably trump an apex but hey just sharing! Good luck with your decision...

Ps: apex runs my ato and rodi

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back