What salt are you using? (PLUS Recent Salt Study)

What brand of salt are you using? 2/14/08

• Instant Ocean

Votes: 203 20.2%
  • Reef Crystals

Votes: 320 31.9%
  • Coralife

Votes: 41 4.1%
  • Kent

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Red Sea Coral Pro

Votes: 102 10.2%
  • Crystal Sea Marine Mix

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Crystal Sea Bioassay

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Marine Environment

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Tropic Marine

Votes: 40 4.0%
  • Tropic Marine Pro Reef

Votes: 85 8.5%
  • Oceanic

Votes: 48 4.8%
  • Seachem Marine

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Seachem Reef

Votes: 71 7.1%
  • MIX OF SALT BRANDS

Votes: 24 2.4%
  • Straight Ocean Water

Votes: 27 2.7%

• Total voters

akma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used esv salt, but i'm going to be switching to DD salt soon once I run out of what I have.

ckozma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also been running Aquavitro Salinity for over a year with no problems and correct levels when mixed every time.

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used esv salt, but i'm going to be switching to DD salt soon once I run out of what I have.

What's prompting your switch? Just curious....I currently use ESV and have been pleased with the results. I have considered a change simply due to storage issues. I have limited space to store salt and buckets would be much easier for me but am not yet convinced that switching is a good thing with the results I've had.

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Coral Pro in my tanks. Knock on wood - never an issue and parameters are always spot on.

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ESV from b-ionic. 4 part mix, 2 liquid and 2 powder. I need to order some soon actually and do a nice water change its been too long.

kes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Aquavitro *salinity" by seachem. I think all salt brands have issues to some degree, you just have to pick the one that works for you.

mobyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Reef Crystals for 20 years. Occasionally I would try others but always went back to RC. It is used at Drs. Foster & Smith and other public aquariums as well, and it has been consistent which is what is required in this hobby to be successful. Also I can get a 200 gal. package of it for under 50.oo!

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use Red Sea Pro Coral. I used to use RC but had a bad batch (Thankfully everything in the tank ended up fine.) I figured why not try another salt, and found Red Sea's new salt. I have been using it for about a year thus far and like it fine.

Dog Boy Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insant ocean for almost 20 years now. Changed to reef chrystals the last year or so but back to IO because I actually wanted to lower my ca and alkalinity in my system. Works great, Fosters ships it to my door for free ands its cheap. Gotta love it. I agree with the general concensus. Any major brand should be ok if you can get it regular and afford it.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched from RSCP to Kent Reef Salt .I needed the lower alk due to carbon dosing plus the RSCP is like 12 dklh . The price of RSCP has gone up from 50.00 to 68 for a 175 gallon bucket .Tried a 50 gallon bucket and was pleased with it .I went back to the lfs n picked up a 200 gl bucket of Kent Reef Salt for 50.00
It mixes clear quickly with calcium 450 , DKH 9.5 .. mag 1450 ... RSCP test kit. salinity 34 ppt..works for me

Calvin Lord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put instant ocean for the poll as i haven't actually added the reef crystals to my tank however i just got a box yesterday to try out.

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also switched to tropic Marin BIO ACTIF from reef crystal. I did just because I liked what I read and I wanted to see if it was actually worth the price.

and it is! well I think so at least. when I switched I saw a ton of zoas pop up in a week and all my corals were inflatted more and growing new eyes and so on.

The reason why I can do it though is because i only have a 29 gallon biocube. I know that if I had a larger tank I would not be able to do the BIO ACTIF and would go back to reef crystal.

LVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using neo-marine for about 3 months now, used to use reef crystals. Both are good salts imo. I only switched to the new salt because I like my alk on the lower end.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back