What to do after an anemone split?

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Alright now I'm getting a little worried.
Came back to the tank this morning and the largest part of the split, is in the process of splitting again.

Nothing has changed in the tank. No real bio-load that can cause spikes. Steady feeding and 10% weekly water changes. Parameters are fine. Alk/mg/ca levels are the same as the salt that goes in it. I don't dose anything because it's an anemone only tank. No3 is at 5.5 and po4 undetectable. Salinity at a stable 1.025 sg with an ATO that runs perfectly. Temp stable at 25c 24 hours a day.

Do you have pictures? How large is the largest one that's splitting again?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is though
Sorry but this doesn’t look like a Chicago to me either chicagos are purple base tentacles then orange then yellow tips. Still a beautiful rainbow bta though. As far as splitting goes I never feed mine after a split for at a minimum of a week.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought that a nem would split due to bad after quality..um, is this not the case?
what reasons would they need to split?
710 gallon 210 gallon refugium undetectable po3, undetectable po4 for the last 7 years. Tons of plankton to feed the coral. Poor water can cause it but so can frequent feedings, an abundance of food, a big water change, a tank move, a change in environment so many things.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but this doesn’t look like a Chicago to me either chicagos are purple base tentacles then orange then yellow tips. Still a beautiful rainbow bta though. As far as splitting goes I never feed mine after a split for at a minimum of a week.
I'm sorry! My bad! It's a Colorado sunburst :face-with-spiral-eyes:
I was originally looking at getting a Chicago but when I saw the Colorado and Chicago side by side, I preferred the Colorado. I think that's how I got confused.

Last edited:

LosGatosMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Colorado for almost 18 months. It is huge! I only feed once a week. I was curious if it would split at some point.
IMG_2805.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was originally looking at getting a Chicago but when I saw the Colorado and Chicago side by side, I preferred the Colorado. I think that's how I got confused.
Its a rainbow, not a CSB either. Hopefully you didn't pay for it as a CSB.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it’s not a Colorado either colorados have greenish blue base bright yellow tips. Rainbows almost always have pink tips like yours. Like I said before your anemone is gorgeous either way. But I truly hope you got a good deal on it because they’re usually a couple hundred dollars cheaper being rainbows than the exotic names. For what it’s worth I actually prefer yours to most of the exotics.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Colorado for almost 18 months. It is huge! I only feed once a week. I was curious if it would split at some point.
You never really know. My LFS has 2 that haven't split in probably 10 years. They are huge maybe 18-20 inches. They have long thin tentacles like yours. The tank it's in has really high flow. Yours seems like it's in a pretty high flow area as well. I wonder if high flow reduces the chance of splitting. Like making it insecure so it won't risk it. Not saying this is the case just an observation. Never thought about it until now. Has anyone else noticed this.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it’s not a Colorado either colorados have greenish blue base bright yellow tips. Rainbows almost always have pink tips like yours. Like I said before your anemone is gorgeous either way. But I truly hope you got a good deal on it because they’re usually a couple hundred dollars cheaper being rainbows than the exotic names. For what it’s worth I actually prefer yours to most of the exotics.
An iphone camera under blue lights doesn't really capture the true colors.
In person, this is what they look like:
1715171385722.png

monica HHF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I’ve had a sunburst nem for over 10 year, it’s never moved from his rock and I still only hove one. Good job.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I’ve had a sunburst nem for over 10 year, it’s never moved from his rock and I still only hove one. Good job.
Just curious what kind of flow do you have in your tank? Do you have bubbles on the tips?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My chicago sunburst anemone has split overnight. I now seem to have two.
Not complaining, but is there anything I should or shouldn't do for a while?
Can I feed as usual or hold off for a while?
Nothing special to do.
You know you don't "have to" feed them, right? Some say "feeding" triggers them to split.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. I'm thinking back and I was running my tank with lower flow when my anemones were splitting all the time. I added some sps and increased the flow significantly and they stopped splitting. I've only had 1 split since then. My new tank has lower LPS flow so I wonder if they will start splitting again. This may be just a coincidence but it's giving me ideas.

jsmkmavity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had rbta splits they would usually move to a shelter spot down under rockwork for a few days then move back up after healing.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing special to do.
You know you don't "have to" feed them, right? Some say "feeding" triggers them to split.
I know it's not mandatory. There's one BTA in my main display in the living room that gets almost no target feeding. But that one is hardly growing and is not looking as happy as these guys that I feed 3-4 times a week.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had rbta splits they would usually move to a shelter spot down under rockwork for a few days then move back up after healing.
Mine don't seem to be bothered one bit.
Haven't really moved and are in full display.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back