What to do when you cannot get rid of corals?

nea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Reefer 250 that has been running for about 5+ years and I have reached a point where I am needing to cut back corals because things are crowding each other out. The issues are these:

a. taking to a local store gives very low ball store credit
b. selling through an app like facebook marketplace or offer up got lots of views but no interest
c. shipping is not plausible or is cost prohibitive
d. not particularly fond of throwing coral in the trash

what does everyone else do when they reach this point?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could offer them for something like $5 + shipping/handling. I know shipping is insane right now, but many corals are stupidly expensive and this might get some attention for you. That's assuming you have the time/resources to spend on something like that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ was joking.. not sure if that would even be feasible.
I would like to try and get something for them - and I would hope the community would have like minded people who also want something for the time and effort taken to grow them out in the first place. People seem to just want them for nothing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could offer them for something like $5 + shipping/handling. I know shipping is insane right now, but many corals are stupidly expensive and this might get some attention for you. That's assuming you have the time/resources to spend on something like that.
that's the issue, they are worth more than that. i had a beautiful purple stylo i asked 150 for because a store would probably have asked way more. I lowered it to 60-80 and still only got views but no interest. shipping would be more than it would cost to sell it.

Upvote 0

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to try and get something for them - and I would hope the community would have like minded people who also want something for the time and effort taken to grow them out in the first place. People seem to just want them for nothing.
I 100% agree.

Upvote 0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
have you tried looking in your local reef club sub-forum? if the FB marketplace isn’t yielding results perhaps groups here or local groups in FB might be better?

Upvote 0

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it's just time to frag with what you've stated otherwise I see 3 options.

1. Start a frag tank.

2. try to trade for unique or more rare corals someone else near you might have that you want.

3. Give it to fellow local reefers for other things like old equipment, they don't want anymore, barter with it a bit, and then sell that equipment. Or maybe someone has salt or dosing liquids they don't want that you use etc.

Upvote 0

Keztrel99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try searching for some groups on various social media's.
I see your in FL as well. I know a few of the FB groups I'm in seem pretty active. At least then your dealing local and hopefully with reefers who appreciate the effort to grow it out.
I know I'd make the drive up to you if I was getting a good deal on some spicy corals.

Upvote 0

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's the issue, they are worth more than that. i had a beautiful purple stylo i asked 150 for because a store would probably have asked way more. I lowered it to 60-80 and still only got views but no interest. shipping would be more than it would cost to sell it.

Ahh. That makes sense. I was looking it more from the "do I sell it cheap or kill it" sort of view :)

Upvote 0

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think as hobbyists we cant expect to get online or LFS pricing.

Upvote 0

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"worth" is relative. You may think they're worth more, heck you might even see others listing them for more, but if the market is only willing to pay $5 for them, then they're only worth $5. If the market is willing to pay $10 for them, then they're worth $10, and so on. Find the balance between your patience and your greed, if they have to go quickly, you're better off selling them for $5, if not, then wait and sell them for $40, etc. But, keep in mind, 20 $5 sales is also better than 2 $40 sales.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just time to frag with what you've stated otherwise I see 3 options.

1. Start a frag tank.

2. try to trade for unique or more rare corals someone else near you might have that you want.

3. Give it to fellow local reefers for other things like old equipment, they don't want anymore, barter with it a bit, and then sell that equipment. Or maybe someone has salt or dosing liquids they don't want that you use etc.
i have a small frag tank (24 gal) but it can't hold much either. and trading for something else does not work because I do not have the space for something else. Not to mention if per se I decided to break down my tank tomorrow for whatever reason there just does not seem to be a way to get what time effort and money i have put in out of it without losing a lot. am i alone in this thought?

thank you for your insight :)

Upvote 0

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it comes to a point where you cant do anything a calcium reactor is a good option. At least your saving some money. My somewhat LFS is similar except they only give 30% the value in store credit. As well they don't always want it. That's just not worth it to me.

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coral is only "worth" what the market will pay for it.

For what it's worth, I've really enjoyed giving frags to new reefers in my area. For a common coral like a Stylo, I wouldn't expect much. Yes you put "work" into growing it... But no more work than you would have put into your tank normally, right?

I expect to sell and buy corals to/from local reefers at ~50% of retail at most. I do get satisfaction from passing a good deal on to a member of my local community.

In the end this isn't an investment.

Upvote 0

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mention the size of the frags you are selling? If you're selling bigger frags for cheaper than most other places then I'm surprised people aren't buying you out. I would if I didn't live in Canada. I just bought my first two coral frags and I'm shocked at how small they are for the price. I would gladly support local reefers in buying their corals if they suit my tank.

Upvote 0

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 43 39.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 57 51.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back