What would you do in this flatworm scenario

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my situation:

I’ve noticed a small amount (1-2 visually at a time) on two of my torches. Sadly, they happen to be my most expensive torches (holy grail, sun god).

The grail is smaller so I decided to dip it (reef tip). 3 or 4 flatworms total came off.

The sun god is much larger (about 7” open) and I really don’t want to mess with it if I don’t need to. It’s happy, opens massively, but I definitely see 1-2 worms.

I only ever see the worms on polyps. Nothing at the base or tissue. I have a leopard and yellow Coris wrasse and I suspect they keep these worms in check except for the few getting to the tentacles.

As I see it my choices are:

1) dip the torches. I prefer not to since they seem healthy (for now). This also seems like a “treating the symptom not the cause” approach unless I dip everything on a 7 day schedule which I simply am not willing to do.
2) try FW exit. I know the risks of toxicity but the worm population seems very low so I’m hoping a “nuke it early” approach might head it up with little risk
3) try something more gentle like KZ flatworm stop. Although I’m not clear if this works on existing FW or helps LPS or just SPS.
4) Do nothing. Let the wrasses do their thing unless things start to look worse.

Oh and they seem to be Waminoa.

IMG_4544.jpeg

IMG_4541.jpeg

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truly stunning. I was able to get velvet nudibranch from Petco. They chowed down on so many flatworms in the few days that they survived.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used flatworm exit. It does kill them. Not all of them though. But it also nuked my pink tip palletta, Valhalla, and another acro I can't remember the name.

Immediately after treatment with FW exit my alkalinity uptake dropped more than I expected so I (making an assumption) think it's safe to say it impacted corals that it didn't badly damage.

Full disclosure, I did the light dose the first time. It was still hard on a couple of them. I gave 6 weeks for recovery and dosed a second time. The second time I used the full recommended dose. That's when I lost the afore mentioned acros.

I still have flatworms.

OP
OP
T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used flatworm exit. It does kill them. Not all of them though. But it also nuked my pink tip palletta, Valhalla, and another acro I can't remember the name.

Immediately after treatment with FW exit my alkalinity uptake dropped more than I expected so I (making an assumption) think it's safe to say it impacted corals that it didn't badly damage.

Full disclosure, I did the light dose the first time. It was still hard on a couple of them. I gave 6 weeks for recovery and dosed a second time. The second time I used the full recommended dose. That's when I lost the afore mentioned acros.

I still have flatworms.
Do you think it was the toxicity from the worm die off that caused it or an ingredient in FW exit? The only reason I’m even considering is because I don’t seem to have many therefore die off and toxicity should be minimal but I’m not sure if the product itself has concerns.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don't believe it was toxicity from the worms. I spent hours daily for a couple of days syphoning worms out through a 1mm id tube. When I treated I stood there and syphoned out any I could see. I followed that with a 75% WC.

All that said. I was only willing to try it in there becauae I had used it in a LPS tank a few years prior. Nothing reacted to it. But I didn't track alk uptake back then so I don't know.if they were slowed down a little. But they all looked fine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back