What's happening to this coral?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to post the water parameters because they have been very close in values for months - nothing has changed major in water chemistry at all levels, and lighting and flow has remained the same.

This coral has been like this for over a month and a half. It was fully open/healthy for a long long time, so I'm not sure what's happening.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

20230821_115839_resized.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this happen to (similar) corals that were placed in the sand bed. So I'm not sure if it's a case of getting some debris that's irritating (receding) it. It may benefit from being placed on a small rock or raised higher up. Something you could try, anyway.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this happen to (similar) corals that were placed in the sand bed. So I'm not sure if it's a case of getting some debris that's irritating (receding) it. It may benefit from being placed on a small rock or raised higher up. Something you could try, anyway.
Thanks - I'll try that. I'll move it onto a rock, which is positioned next to it, so it's off the sand bed - at this point, I'll try anything.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I'll try that. I'll move it onto a rock, which is positioned next to it, so it's off the sand bed - at this point, I'll try anything.
My LFS had the exact same coral and for some reason it died off in the center (just like yours). It's since made a full recovery and completely grown over the previous areas it recessed.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had the exact same coral and for some reason it died off in the center (just like yours). It's since made a full recovery and completely grown over the previous areas it recessed.
Thanks for sharing - that's reassuring. Makes me wonder why this is happening, and perhaps this is somewhat normal as much as it doesn't seem to be. Weird.......ever since I've started keeping corals, I know they have a 'mind' of their own - sometimes they don't open because maybe they're just being stubborn, or had a bad day/week :)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing - that's reassuring. Makes me wonder why this is happening, and perhaps this is somewhat normal as much as it doesn't seem to be. Weird.......ever since I've started keeping corals, I know they have a 'mind' of their own - sometimes they don't open because maybe they're just being stubborn, or had a bad day/week :)
If it's any consolation they never figured it out, either.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back