What's needed for as spare/quarantine tank?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course now that I got my first reef tank as I'm sure many have read my exuberant posts I'm thinking about acquiring my auxiliary tank for like if some species get sick or I choose to quarantine new ones. What is the minimum tank equipment one should have as a reserve or quarantine? does it need filters obviously. I have a G2 max system. I got spoiled from the very beginning and got all the bells and whistles. I'm wondering what actually needed to put in tank for quarantine time. should I just go by at 10 or 20 gallon tank with a simple filter and pump?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of qt will largely depend on what fish you’re adding, but 10-20 gallons usually is good.
All you need is a hob filter, heater, bubbler/sponge filter, and pvc to hide in.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm afraid I'll start building it into a coral tank I might as well just buy a whole Red Sea system lol.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pushing the envelope by employing an undergravel filter in a bare bottom 20H driven by a canister filter along with UV-C and ozone to sterilize the water as needed yet provide adequate biological filtration that can be suspended when medication is applied then resumed and expecting the ozone through UV-C will dissipate the medication along with GAC. Thought process being any floating pathogens will get sucked up by the canister since only separation being a plate with little surface area to adhere to yet anytime it becomes free swimming then it will get grabbed by the canister and processed.

Instead of dips the tank will be medicated to avoid the stress of constantly capturing and placing life in a bowl. UV-C plus ozone and/or H2O2 called AOP sterilizes all organic based matter and will be my hybrid to a TTM as I don't have the time or patience to be constantly sterilizing tanks nor desire to use copper which done improperly does nothing or overdone kills that being treated plus not all life suited for copper treatment. Think eels and inverts.

I know. Seems crazy. Only one way to find out.

BTW, at a minimum, advisable to observe new additions before placement in main. Better they perish outside then within. Not because one is avoiding having to remove the corpse but because of what killed it may not perish the entire main display. Pound of caution thing.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back