Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0743.JPG
IMG_0738.JPG
IMG_0742.JPG
Hey guys. Added this guy about a week ago. Had my 55 gal tank populized with copepods approx 2 months ago. He has plenty to eat and he swims around eating all the time. Usually in the shadier parts of the tank. No symptoms of anything wrong or if illness. Didn't QT due to it being a Dragonet and my LFS is VERY reputable. Had him in a tank alone with plenty to eat and no other fish. LFS had him for over a month with no illness or parasite evidence. Wondering if anyone had any insight on what this grey spot right above his gill could be? Thanks!

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really hard to see but it's possible he could have scratched himself. I would just keep an eye on him and see how he does.
Thank you for your response. He does spend ALOT of time under the love rock. There's a spot where my purple lobster use to be that had been dug out for his home. I've since found him a new home to make room for this Dragonet and this fish likes to swim into that area. The spot is pretty much round, grey, and flush with the skin. Meaning it's not indented or protruding out at all. When I look at him he seems a little skinny to me, but then I see him from above and he isn't skinny really at all. My scooter blenny was much skinnier. Anyway. Like I said. He does y show any signs of being sick. Swims around quite a bit. Likes to stay in the shadows which I'm assuming is normal? It's hard to get a good picture of him and the spot. Especially when he's covered with sand on his coat. ;)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response. He does spend ALOT of time under the love rock. There's a spot where my purple lobster use to be that had been dug out for his home. I've since found him a new home to make room for this Dragonet and this fish likes to swim into that area. The spot is pretty much round, grey, and flush with the skin. Meaning it's not indented or protruding out at all. When I look at him he seems a little skinny to me, but then I see him from above and he isn't skinny really at all. My scooter blenny was much skinnier. Anyway. Like I said. He does y show any signs of being sick. Swims around quite a bit. Likes to stay in the shadows which I'm assuming is normal? It's hard to get a good picture of him and the spot. Especially when he's covered with sand on his coat. ;)
He's new to his home, being in the shadows and hiding out within the live rock is normal until he feels safe and is used to it. He'll start venturing further and further out as time goes on :)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's new to his home, being in the shadows and hiding out within the live rock is normal until he feels safe and is used to it. He'll start venturing further and further out as time goes on :)

Also wanted to add it does look like a scratch. Anything with a brain is capable of running into something when frightened. I can tell you when fish are new in my tank, they tend to bump into things when spooked. And at first, anything can give them a little scare.

In my bedroom, the fish are used to music. video games. subwoofers... But one bird shadow flying by the window and they scatter

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wanted to add it does look like a scratch. Anything with a brain is capable of running into something when frightened. I can tell you when fish are new in my tank, they tend to bump into things when spooked. And at first, anything can give them a little scare.

In my bedroom, the fish are used to music. video games. subwoofers... But one bird shadow flying by the window and they scatter

Sweet. I feel a little more comforted about it now. I'll keep an eye on him before I do anything drastic like tear my tank apart to get him out. Lol. Thanks for the responses guys!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin gets grey like that at night and early morning when the lights are off. I call it his pajamas [emoji14] It could just be stress coloration since he's still settling in.

IF the spot gets larger/more defined you will need to remove him to antibiotics ASAP. New mandarins are prone to bacterial infections that develop similarly.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin gets grey like that at night and early morning when the lights are off. I call it his pajamas [emoji14] It could just be stress coloration since he's still settling in.

IF the spot gets larger/more defined you will need to remove him to antibiotics ASAP. New mandarins are prone to bacterial infections that develop similarly.

Ok. So if it doesn't go away and gets bigger; I'll have to try to QT? I didn't QT him specifically because I know it's hard to keep them fed. If I end up having to do this, what medications would I use? I have Furan-2 and Megaplex on standby from awhile back. His color looks AMAZING everywhere, but that one little spot. No other symptoms yet.

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he gets worse, the furan-2 would be a good start, if that doesn't help you can add in the metroplex as well. Kanaplex is another one that's good to have.

If you QT him, get some nutrimar ova to feed him. Mine took to it immediately.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he gets worse, the furan-2 would be a good start, if that doesn't help you can add in the metroplex as well. Kanaplex is another one that's good to have.

Great. Thanks!

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0756.JPG
IMG_0762.JPG

Here's a couple more pictures of the guy. The grey spot right above his gill is what I'm talking about.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I looked through my stock of items and it appears that I have each of those 3 antibiotics. What process should I follow if I end up needing to that route? Also; if it is just a wound, how long would I expect it to take for it to heal?

The spot hasn't gotten any bigger or smaller. Appears to have no change as far as I can see. I don't see any others or any symptoms yet either.

Thanks for the feedback.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good news :) my female clown got a major 1/2" gouge from the powder blue tangs barb... I fed the tank dr. G's antibiotic frozen food for three days and it was completely healed in a week and back to new again. She tried to take over his hiding spot and learned quickly not to mess with him lol

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a small scrape or bump it will heal on it's own, without antibiotics.

If it starts to get worse QUICKLY, drastically changing in size or color or his behavior changes drastically- you can use all three together. Dose every 48 hours after a 25% water change and make sure you have plenty of 02 exchange.

If it gets slightly bigger and just sticks around and you feel like he needs a little help kicking it you could just start with the kanaplex or furan-2 alone.

Either way he'd have to be in QT. The only in-reef treatment would be to food soak kanaplex with seachem focus as a binder, but that wouldn't likely be enough for an aggressive infection and you'd have to get him to actually eat the food [emoji15]

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

X2. Especially if it ever turns red in and around the gray or color-washed areas.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X2. Especially if it ever turns red in and around the gray or color-washed areas.

Yeah. I've been specifically looking for redness and haven't seen a change at all. I did see it at a bit of a different angle earlier and it looks like it might have a slight raised spot to it, but other than that, nothing. I'm hoping it's just a small wound.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of your other fish been scratching, yawning, or head shaking?

I didn't QT my mandarin and regretted it. He brought flukes for sure, and possibly velvet. But, I could actually see the flukes on him and my kole tang. There is a certain species that are a bit larger and can be visible (can't think of it, starts with an "N"). But, other fish started showing symptoms within a few days as well.

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin had two little spots just like that. I was advised to keep an eye on them to see if there were any changes. Someone mentioned that maybe they were spots that didnt get the color back after having his pj's on. I kept a close eye on him and one day they were just gone. He never acted any different and was eating like normal.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of your other fish been scratching, yawning, or head shaking?

I didn't QT my mandarin and regretted it. He brought flukes for sure, and possibly velvet. But, I could actually see the flukes on him and my kole tang. There is a certain species that are a bit larger and can be visible (can't think of it, starts with an "N"). But, other fish started showing symptoms within a few days as well.

The only other fish I have currently is my clown fish. Lost my other 2 to a ich outbreak with I did the fallow method to get rid of. My clown is showing no signs of anything and my Mandarin still has no change in either the spot or behavior. Still keeping a close eye on him. I'm super paranoid after all the rough lessons I've had to learn since I started this hobby. I've bought a QT during my ich experience with the exception of this Mandarin because I was under the impression that it was ill advised to QT them. Anywho. All looks well so far. He's been eating just fine and swims just fine. Stays in the dark a lot; but other than that I don't notice anything odd.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin had two little spots just like that. I was advised to keep an eye on them to see if there were any changes. Someone mentioned that maybe they were spots that didnt get the color back after having his pj's on. I kept a close eye on him and one day they were just gone. He never acted any different and was eating like normal.

That's comforting actually. He definitely didn't have them prior to me getting him and my LFS I got him from takes VERY good care of his stock. He had had this guy for a month in a tank by himself with the exception of a couple clams and oysters.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back