OP
OP
A

arnel0387

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't chase the perfect PH #-as mentioned you're params are good and the tank is relatively "young". I personally agree on dropping to a lower KH and if it's not been mentioned already you'll want to see what a newly batch of saltwater mixes at, if it's higher than your target number you're fighting an uphill battle.

In the early years I chased PH only to find its a waste of money, time and made zero difference. Presently my tank swings from 7.85 at night to now 8.2 during the days becuase the weather is better and Im letting in fresh air. During the winter it's 7.65 at night and 7.95 during the day-maybe my corals have adapted as they are all looking good.

Reef Chili is good IMO and there are lots of other things out there-search around, see what other are using-I used to add oyster feast, phyto feast, amino acids, etc etc (over the years :) )

Good luck-Im sure it'll turn around

Thanks! My current alk is at 8.7 and new saltwater mix is at 8.9. My tank consumes 0.2alk in a week after a 10G water change. I'm not dosing anything yet. I would like to eventually get my alk to 8, so I guess I just need to add a few more LPS and some clams! :)

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Alk w/ lights on (pH at highest 8.3)= 8.9 (Salifert testkit)
Alk w/ lights off (pH at lowest 7.8) = 8.7 (Salifert testkit)
New saltwater mix (using Red Sea regular salt) = 8.9 (Salifert)

Changes:
Removed my GFO reactor and carbon meshbag
Changed DI resin on RODI unit
Feeding 3x/day instead of twice/day

I could be wrong (maybe Randy can chime in) but I don't believe alk is impacted by light. It should be the same all else equal.

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph change is due to co2 change from night 2 day, as photosynthesis changes for day night, I agree that my alk does not change from day 2 night

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arnel, I just came across this. Sorry about the SoCal casualties. hows things going now? Maybe you can push back the water changes to once every 10-14 days.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something seems off to me.....0.2 dkh consumption over 7 days with 30 sps frags doesn't seem right. I would suggest allowing the skimmate to return back into the system to raise the nutrients some and see what happens. I have done this to more than one tank with good results.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back