When did the BUYER become responsible for shipping delays?

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking past the combative participants in this thread and those here solely to throw stones, there is actually a wealth of information and lessons to be learned.

Have a wonderful weekend.
For that same reason I was watching the thread from the beginning because I have never bought anything online yet and leaving the rest out, there is good information here, happy reefing

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly it sounds like you let the customer service person talk you out of filing the claim, which likely would have worked out in your favor had you pushed the issue. They have metrics around avoiding paying out claims, you need to push past their scripts.
I filed the claim it was denied. I had pictures, as well as the communication from the shipper and shipping company (they confirmed the delay, etc etc.). It would have taken a lawsuit to settle either. Usually Amex is very good with these types of things. In my specific case, not so much. But appreciate your comment

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly it sounds like you let the customer service person talk you out of filing the claim, which likely would have worked out in your favor had you pushed the issue. They have metrics around avoiding paying out claims, you need to push past their scripts.
And you need to realize (at least with my reserve card - you just go online, type your problem/claim, and supply any documents and they provide (after talking to the seller) relief. There was sympathy for my argument - but in the end they decided that the shipper did not have control over the weather in my area.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here let me highlight where you lied in your very first post. Not even a lie of omission, but a bold faced misrepresentation.

You also had multiple opportunities to clarify, but you didn't. I can't say for sure your intent, but it sure looks like you did that so people would take your side.

You're well within your rights to decline the sellers offer, but bruh.
R2R has an extremely specific policy about buyers complaining about sellers. I think he wanted a discussion - and I think part of it was to defend his position to the seller - but the discussion was helpful and interesting IMHO. I think the OP posted his original plan/reason for the post.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R has an extremely specific policy about buyers complaining about sellers. I think he wanted a discussion - and I think part of it was to defend his position to the seller - but the discussion was helpful and interesting IMHO. I think the OP posted his original plan/reason for the post.
I don't think anyone is arguing that the seller started the thread with a different question, which lead to a lot of good discussion. I also hope people don't think I'm intentionally being combative.

It's however very important to call out the lie about the seller's conduct (which was completely irrelevant to the claimed original topic), which lead to everyone wanting to know who the seller was because it had appeared that the seller had been unbelievably unreasonable. So really the OP derailed his own thread so it's fair game to continue to discuss, imo.

When the buyer gave in and revealed the seller without correcting their misrepresentation of the sellers actions, it put their reputation at risk and probably led to them receiving unkind messages that I hope they reported.

More than one lesson to learn in this thread.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm gonna make a point - one persons 15,000 is another persons $500 or $1000. If I was a buyer - of a high priced item - I would iron down the agreement/guarantee. I mean - some personal accountability - if a person gives a guarantee (like a 'standard DOA' - its very clear thats an extremely vague answer - I would have (as the buyer - asked for a clarification)

I get that, but regardless of your tax bracket $15k for a single fish in this hobby is rather expensive and likely is equally uncommon. I would imagine that this transaction would have a bit more clarity than simply stating that "standard DOA applies" given the fact that there's nothing standard about buying a $15k fish. Again, regardless of your level of personal finance.

I believe we are on the same page, I just think that your analogy shares little to no similarities to the topic of this thread.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filed the claim it was denied. I had pictures, as well as the communication from the shipper and shipping company (they confirmed the delay, etc etc.). It would have taken a lawsuit to settle either. Usually Amex is very good with these types of things. In my specific case, not so much. But appreciate your comment
I've never run into this issue with Amex or Visa. I'd have probably closed that card and opened a different one pretty soon after they did that.

Did the seller offer you any discounts or credits? That can also allow the CC company to decline to help further. You need the seller to completely blow you off, as the OP had originally claimed (That's the sort of thing that gets you dropped by your lawyer in the real world)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think anyone is arguing that the seller started the thread with a different question, which lead to a lot of good discussion. I also hope people don't think I'm intentionally being combative.

It's however very important to call out the lie about the seller's conduct (which was completely irrelevant to the claimed original topic), which lead to everyone wanting to know who the seller was because it had appeared that the seller had been unbelievably unreasonable. So really the OP derailed his own thread so it's fair game to continue to discuss, imo.

When the buyer gave in and revealed the seller without correcting their misrepresentation of the sellers actions, it put their reputation at risk and probably led to them receiving unkind messages that I hope they reported.

More than one lesson to learn in this thread.
I agree with you completely - the plan of the OP - does fall in the very gray zone of the vendor feedback forum type post. His issue - IMHO - (not a mod) - his comment that he would post the entire thread after people responded didn't make complete sense to me. Despite trying to find it (I think there is a problem with my browser and R2R - the posts appear out of order) - I haven't found the post where he outed the seller.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to point something out.. there was no giving in or pressure, a few people did ask but, the original post states his intention to name names.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I get that, but regardless of your tax bracket $15k for a single fish in this hobby is rather expensive and likely is equally uncommon. I would imagine that this transaction would have a bit more clarity than simply stating that "standard DOA applies" given the fact that there's nothing standard about buying a $15k fish. Again, regardless of your level of personal finance.

I believe we are on the same page, I just think that your analogy shares little to no similarities to the topic of this thread.
We are on the same page. My comment just related to the fact that $500 for one person is the equivalent of $1500 for another.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just to point something out.. there was no giving in or pressure, a few people did ask but, the original post states his intention to name names.
Correct.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Of course there was pressure, but that does not change the fact that the seller was outed and only part of the story was provided.

Looking past the combative participants in this thread and those here solely to throw stones, there is actually a wealth of information and lessons to be learned.

Have a wonderful weekend.
An offer of 50% refund and also an "I don't even have to do that" IS NOT STANDARD DOA

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
An offer of 50% refund and also an "I don't even have to do that" IS NOT STANDARD DOA
There is no definition of standard DOA. Which - IMHO is the sellers problem - like I said before - unless there is a DOA policy mandated by R2R by sellers (I couldn't find it on the site). Each sell can have his/her own standard DOA policy. Right? However - the Sellers response as you quoted it - seems uncaring and a seller I would not work with.

leicalux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me understand this... The OP has screen shots to back up his claims but you automatically put him on blast and believe the seller when they say something different?
I don't want to turn this into a debate as I have accepted my mistake and made corrective action. However, if anything I said is not true or misrepresented something, the buyer is welcome to point that out and I can post screenshot of the text conversion if needed.

OP
OP
UMALUM

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To whom it may concern...... I reached out to Mike to thank him for doing the right thing and wished him well in his future ventures. I do still think this thread could be of value to both sellers and buyers moving forward as it's clear some people's standards have clearly changed over the years. If anyone is looking for me I'll be changing my name to @attentionseekingliar. I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of their weekend. Oh and no @BeanAnimal I wont be extending any apologies today or in the near future. Throw some cold water on your face and get over it.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
extending any apologies today or in the near future. Throw some cold water on your face and get over it.
Maybe there was some confusion. I did not ask for or need an apology from you. You directed one toward the seller and that was the right thing to do.

You are the one that appears to be red faced for some reason. I am not and there is nothing to get over. I am happy that you got your refund and found a way to reconcile with the seller. Best of luck and happy reefing.

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a good post with good opportunity for simple debates. OP clearly explained everything from his point of view and his side of the story. The seller could do the same. Neither are wrong with there own side.

It’s a shame everyone gets so sensitive. I mean who has this much time to go back and forth like children?

Post your response to OP and move on!

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a fun thread. Bottom line I think there’s one main lesson here. Reef2reef should adopt a standard DOA policy that takes everything into account so there are no miscommunications when a seller says “standard doa”. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on what falls into the definition of standard.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back