When should I start All For Reef dosing?

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I picked up a bottle of Tropic Marin's All For Reef today, as well as a bucket of Red Sea Salt. I had always got pre-mixed saltwater from my local fish store, however I decide to start mixing my own. The current Alkalinity of my tank is around 12dKH from the pre-mixed saltwater, however the salt that I bought today is around 7.5dKH (at 33ppt)

I am considering waiting to start dosing All For Reef, as the difference of alkalinity between the 2 salt mixes are large. Would there be a risk of starting dosing now, as the parameters are changing due to my weekly water changes with the new salt. I don't want to cause any type of alkalinity swing. So my main question is, should I do a few water changes with the new salt and then start dosing?

- Thanks

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general idea is to dose AFR or 2 part or 3part etc… when you determine your tank is consuming Alk and Calc.
At the start water change is sufficient and in general no dosing is required. To minimize Alk swings it is good idea to ensure the new salt water has same Alk as your tank.

Before any dosing you might want to decide what Alk you want to maintain your tank at.
From my experience 8 dKh is easier vs. 12 dKh. When I started I tried 12 dKh and that ended up in disaster. In my opinion 12 dKh is probably best for the professional reefers.

AFR is very good at maintaining certain level of Alk/ Calc etc… It is not the best product to increase Alk or Calc or Mg... AFR has Alk/Calc/Mg and Trace elements so by overdoing you could increase one of these into unfavourable levels.

Good luck,

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When starting AFR, you want to get your parameters where you like them first. This might mean you need to use 2 part or whatever or even just one element. Point is, once you’re happy with the parameters start your AFR as instructed. Ive been dosing it for quite some time now and my parameters stay rock solid week to week. When I notice one or more elements start to drop, I bump my dose up.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general idea is to dose AFR or 2 part or 3part etc… when you determine your tank is consuming Alk and Calc.
At the start water change is sufficient and in general no dosing is required. To minimize Alk swings it is good idea to ensure the new salt water has same Alk as your tank.

Before any dosing you might want to decide what Alk you want to maintain your tank at.
From my experience 8 dKh is easier vs. 12 dKh. When I started I tried 12 dKh and that ended up in disaster. In my opinion 12 dKh is probably best for the professional reefers.

AFR is very good at maintaining certain level of Alk/ Calc etc… It is not the best product to increase Alk or Calc or Mg... AFR has Alk/Calc/Mg and Trace elements so by overdoing you could increase one of these into unfavourable levels.

Good luck,
Thanks for the info
I am aiming for around 8.5dKH, but yeah I will get the tank on the new salt before I begin AFR

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When starting AFR, you want to get your parameters where you like them first. This might mean you need to use 2 part or whatever or even just one element. Point is, once you’re happy with the parameters start your AFR as instructed. Ive been dosing it for quite some time now and my parameters stay rock solid week to week. When I notice one or more elements start to drop, I bump my dose up.
Yeah, seems like everyone says get the parameters set before starting AFR so I will do that

Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back