Which ALK test kit??

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, I would like to hear what test kits your all using (vendor too) for ALK? I'm using a Elos kit, but am getting ready to possibly purchase a Hanna checker. Being that the color codes are hit a miss for me sometimes, I was thinking the Hanna was a perfect fit because of it's read out, but would like to hear others thoughts if there is a prefered brand. Many Thanks

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Red Sea Pro for a while now and like it. I like being able to just buy refills too when I run out of reagents.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna all the way for me, I love the alk checker esp since the color tests are bit difficult for me to read.

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use API. I don't use them for anything else but I ran it alongside a Hanna Checker for several months - and the two always agreed...so for me it was quicker and easier to stick with the api. Granted, you don't get the reading down to the exact number like the hanna checker - but after using it for awhile you can guess pretty close by the degree of color change and as long as I stay within my range of 8-9 I'm happy.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks y'all. Some definitely good info. Keep'em coming.

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ELOS kit for Alk. I had a Hanna Checker, but the ELOS is so quick and easy to use I went back to it pretty quick.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Red Sea Pro for a while now and like it. I like being able to just buy refills too when I run out of reagents.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

+1 on Red Sea Pro.

All these “wet-chemistry” test kits are basically the same…..colorimetric titrations.

The difference with Red Sea is that they spent a little time on ergonomics and came up with a nice way to add to and mix the testing vials.

For those who poo-poo these wet chemistry tests, what’s important is that you take the color change to completion. When you think you are there, note the volume and add one more drop. If you see no more change, you’re there, and if you see change, keep going, noting the volume before adding that potential last drop. One more thing, do not return any reagents in the syringe back to the mother-bottle. You’re asking for problems.

I like the wet chemistry kits and if you think you’re getting better results with Hanna, do a search of bad batches of their reagents, or on those who do multiple tests and come up with different numbers. It too has an error factor as well.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't u return regent to mother?? I usally do guess I need new test kit

It is considered good laboratory practice and should be taught in introductory high school and college chemistry classes. It eliminates the chances of cross contamination of the mother reagent. You do have tank water and titrant on the syringe end from the mixing that was done during the titration.

If you are close to proper levels, it should only be a fraction of a milliliter. It’s also the incentive to make sure you have taken the titration all the way to completion.

riksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ELOS, very accurate.... I have also used Sera for a quick check....

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks guys. I went with the Hanna today but have my Elos as a back up.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hanna, all the colors always look the same to me

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hanna, all the colors always look the same to me

Lol. I'm color blind and asking the wife to tell me colors isn't my finest moment.

fener103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 one on the Hanna. As others have stated the vial needs to be spotless and instructions followed to a T. I also like the Lamotte kit, easy to see color shift

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna is great, IF you follow the directions. The glass curvettes also should be spotless.

That bit about following the directions is true across the board for any test kit - Salifert is no good either if I "do it my way." :xd: I do think the Hanna meters are a little more cumbersome depending on the test. Ca is the worst, Alk not too bad, PO4 are super simple. All are emminently do-able though. I highly recommend watching the related videos Hanna has posted on YouTube so you can see the correct techniques to test without error. (I do not get significantly different readings between tests of the same sample...but it took practice and the videos helped.)

[…]You do have tank water and titrant on the syringe end from the mixing that was done during the titration.

It's been a while since I had my Hanna out, but I don't recall using a syringe tip for stirring or for dispensing both water and reagent from one syringe as being part of the instructions. From my recollection, if the test is done properly with care there should be no risk of contamination. For drop tests like Salifert, there should still never be a chance of contamination if the tests are done with care and according to instruction. Obviously a concern to be aware of, but normal procedure should make contamination all but impossible.

I'm having trouble imagining when I'd be using the same tip or syringe for two different liquids in a test...seems like it would have to involve a goof?

-Matt

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back