Which comes first?

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read so much conflicting information during the planning phase of the two tanks that I'm setting up. After the tank is finished cycling, I always thought that you add the fish first. Now I'm reading to add corals first.

1000006990.jpg

Has anyone tried this method and if so how long before you added any fish? If you chose to add fish first, how long should you wait to add corals?

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there really is no correct method here, each comes with pros and cons and is also really tied to your preferences.

By adding fish first you get the obvious benefit of having fish, they’re colourful, active and add life / movement to your display. However, their addition immediately mandates care and maintenance specific to their feeding requirements and the amount of waste they’ll produce. Disease and parasites can also factor in here.

By adding coral first you are realising the benefits outlined in the article above without the additional care requirements that fish mandate. Some argue that the waste fish produce is needed for coral health. I’m not convinced on this particularly with the typical starter corals.

I prefer coral first in small to medium size systems. In a larger system, tangs come into play…

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tanks that are fish only and tanks that are coral only. I don’t think it matters as long as there is food for what ever is in the tank

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral benefit more from fish than vice versa and fish generally do better in new tanks than coral so I choose fish first.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back