which R/O filter to use

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think BRS or Spectrapure are the way to go. I have the 6 stage BRS with built in TDS meter. It works great and its easy to use. The original micron filter they gave me was 5 microns. After I used that I switched to 1 micron. But you can't go wrong with either brand.

OP
OP
B

b-gin-86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with my TDS meter do I test for ppm, ppt, or us. im pretty sure I only test the water that comes out of the filter but just to make sure, I do not test water in my tank. lol

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really can't beat the spectrapure refurb for the price. I use alot of water make about 40 gallons a week. My first di lasted me over a year. The carbon and sediment every 6 months. I'm now using the super di. I figured for the extra 2 or $3 it was worth it to try. I'm not brand specific on my reef except with my rodi which is always spectrapure. When it comes to water Azdessertrat is the man to listen to and my go to person for ro questions along with the rest of another forum he frequents or used to anyways

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b-gin-86, most TDS meters read in ppm. There are a few such as the HM Digital COM-100 that can read in three different modes which is the one I use mainly but I still read and calibrate in ppm NaCl.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

b-gin-86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DesertRat thanks for the information. I did some research and there was nothing but positive things said about buckeyehydro. I am going to give him a call tomorrow and see what he recommends for my location. I do not think I need anything more than there 36 GPD unit. I have a 92 bow front so I think that should be plenty for evaporation and water changes. the unit will run more so I imagine I will probably need to change filters more often.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Russ at Buckeye will set you up, great guy.
Don't get the 36 GPD though. It is the same size as the 75, costs about the same, wastes the same and produces the same quality of water but it takes twice as long to make it so you end up getting frustrated when you need water. Its bad enough waiting on a 75-90 GPD but the others are painfuly slow. There are no advantages to a smaller membrane and lots of advantages to a larger one. Speak to him before making a decision, he won't steer you wrong.

OP
OP
B

b-gin-86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the information. I talked to russ the other day and I was actually going to buy the 36GPD container and he instructed me to buy the 50GPD at least. Then I browsed a little bit and saw there was no price difference so I bought the 75GPD lol. I read that I need a specific container, like a food grade. I figured as much though. Do you know what kind of container or brand that is safe? Also I would like to be able to go to a place like lowes or home depot. Also how do I prep and clean it so the container will be safe for the water? thank you for your help

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most popular choice is the Rubbermaid Brute trashcans. They are food safe and come in a couple of sizes.
I rinse my new plastics out with distilled white vinegar and again every so often once in use to remove any calcium build up.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back