White patch on my clown fish, what is it?

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've had these 2 clowns in my JBJ30 for a few months now with no issues (the male is fine). Then, last week my female clown developed two odd white patches. I'm almost certain it's not ick. The patch is on her fins and on her body are in the same spot that the white spot on her fin hits her body as she swims (seems peculiar). Hopefully that made sense.

Then the biggest white patch on her body became kind of red, almost looking like a wound or puncture.

Today I did a fresh water dip so I was able to get a really good video of what it looks like. Please tell me if you know what this is! Nothing visible came off in the fresh water dip.

Louis Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is velvet . Breathing fast , listless and small bumps . The red may be a secondary infection . I would treat in seperate tank with either copper or chloroquine in addition to an antibiotic

OP
OP
E

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is velvet . Breathing fast , listless and small bumps . The red may be a secondary infection . I would treat in seperate tank with either copper or chloroquine in addition to an antibiotic

Well the listlessness and fast breathing are due to the fresh water dip that you’re witnessing. Other than white and red stuff she is acting normal. Do you still think it’s Velbet despite her acting fine normally?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a bacterial infection, with a much smaller possibility of Uronema.

You'll want to treat in a QT with one of the following antibiotics / combinations:
Nitrofuracin Green - great stuff, not always easy to source. Do not use in conjunction with copper.
Spectrogram - a combination of Furan and Kanaplex, very good reviews.
Combination of Furan-2, Kanaplex and Metroplex - use each according to the package instructions, including any water changes. May wish to spread doses by an hour or two, just so as not to be dumping a gob of chemistry on her all at once.

You'll want to treat for 10-14 days; fish respond pretty slowly to this stuff.

~Bruce

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with infection. Also looks like some hypermelanization. Is your clown trying to host coral? Could be a sting that has become infected.

@Maritimer has you covered with the EXCELLENT advice provided.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back