White Spots on Maroon Clownfish

ClaraBell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed these small white spots on my baby maroon clownfish today. They don’t quite look like ich (cryptocaryon irritans) but I do want some outside opinions. I’ve had her in the tank for at least 2-3 months and she’s been doing great, she lives with a small CUC (hermit, emerald, cerith, & astrea) BTA and a neon cleaner goby (who she hardly tolerates his cleaning behaviour) all of which are healthy. The cleaner goby has been in the tank for about a month and has no visible spots. Nobody has any behaviour changes and the water is testing normal with nothing concerning showing up.
IMG_2181.jpeg
IMG_2182.jpeg
IMG_2184.jpeg
IMG_2185.jpeg
IMG_2186.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I suspect you have another clown or smaller fish as these appear as bite marks and also what appears to be ich parasite and will warrant treatment in a separate rank using coppesfafe at 2.25 for a full 30 days while maintaining good water quality and diet and provide added aeration with an air stone

OP
OP
C

ClaraBell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect you have another clown or smaller fish as these appear as bite marks and also what appears to be ich parasite and will warrant treatment in a separate rank using coppesfafe at 2.25 for a full 30 days while maintaining good water quality and diet and provide added aeration with an air stone
So you’re suspecting bite marks AND ich? The only other fish in the tank in the neon cleaner goby

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re suspecting bite marks AND ich? The only other fish in the tank in the neon cleaner goby

Your clownfish has some fin damage on the dorsal and anal fins - any idea how long its had that? The most obvious cause would be another fish, but a neon goby wouldn't cause that.

The white spots are mucus, and are also an indication of physical damage.

OP
OP
C

ClaraBell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your clownfish has some fin damage on the dorsal and anal fins - any idea how long its had that? The most obvious cause would be another fish, but a neon goby wouldn't cause that.

The white spots are mucus, and are also an indication of physical damage.
Ok, thank you! She’s actually had those ruffles for a while, at least a month although I’ll be honest, it almost looked like that’s what they were growing into instead of being bitten back or anything (if that even makes any sense). I’ll attach a picture of when I got her and her most recent picture (apologies, they’re not great).

I’m not sure what would be damaging her, she’s the boss of the tank lol. It’s just her, her BTA, the neon cleaner goby, a red-legged hermit, an emerald crab, a turbo snail, cerith snail, and an astrea snail. :/

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpeg
    IMG_0884.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1643.jpeg
    IMG_1643.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 15

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you! She’s actually had those ruffles for a while, at least a month although I’ll be honest, it almost looked like that’s what they were growing into instead of being bitten back or anything (if that even makes any sense). I’ll attach a picture of when I got her and her most recent picture (apologies, they’re not great).

I’m not sure what would be damaging her, she’s the boss of the tank lol. It’s just her, her BTA, the neon cleaner goby, a red-legged hermit, an emerald crab, a turbo snail, cerith snail, and an astrea snail. :/
There are developmental causes for ragged fins, I’ve just never seen that in maroon clownfish before.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back