Whitish patch

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so glad to have quarantined this new fish, it's a skunk grouper and it has a new patch? It looks bacterial but I can't tell properly, I have it with my large sailfin tang in a 10 gallon as quarantine, it wasn't coming out of the pvc pipe even after a day so I was worried and booped it out to check on it, i currently have ruby rally and powdered praziquantel aswell as tablet form metronidazole, he also seems to be breathing a bit faster than usual, if brighter light is required I can send better vid/picture

IMG_20240403_071610.jpg IMG_20240403_072828.jpg IMG_20240403_072837.jpg IMG_20240403_073136.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am so glad to have quarantined this new fish, it's a skunk grouper and it has a new patch? It looks bacterial but I can't tell properly, I have it with my large sailfin tang in a 10 gallon as quarantine, it wasn't coming out of the pvc pipe even after a day so I was worried and booped it out to check on it, i currently have ruby rally and powdered praziquantel aswell as tablet form metronidazole, he also seems to be breathing a bit faster than usual, if brighter light is required I can send better vid/picture

IMG_20240403_071610.jpg
This is bacterial and fish appears to be in a quarantine setting already. If no meds used currently, seachem kanaplex is best as its easily absorbed by fish however Ruby Rally will work, just will take a little longer. Maintain good water quality and add oxygen during treatment.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is bacterial and fish appears to be in a quarantine setting already. If no meds used currently, seachem kanaplex is best as its easily absorbed by fish however Ruby Rally will work, just will take a little longer. Maintain good water quality and add oxygen during treatment.
Thank you so much, i updated with better pictures, I guess my hunch was right!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be injury from PVC piping
It might be, but I also have a sailfin tang in there which is about 6 inches and he's alright so, currently I put the injured fish in a serparate viewing tub in the quarantine tank with another powerhead pushing right up the surface, I added about 4ml of waterlife myxazin with 1ml treating about 2.2 gallons, temperature is 28c around 82 degrees

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is it's colour currently

Attachments

• IMG_20240403_075524.jpg
    IMG_20240403_075524.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 how long should I dose it for? These are the instruction's

Use on day's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Add once a day for two days for new fish

Should I use one dose for 5 days or one dose everyday for 5 days?

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 i just came back and found him dead with his gills flared up is there just anything I had done wrong? My sailfin tang seems okay and shining brightly, are groupers sensitive to medication's?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 i just came back and found him dead with his gills flared up is there just anything I had done wrong? My sailfin tang seems okay and shining brightly, are groupers sensitive to medication's?
Sorry to hear and as mentioned bacterial and may have been from inside and out. Im not convinced the tang palyed a part in injury and bacterial issue

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear and as mentioned bacterial and may have been from inside and out. Im not convinced the tang palyed a part in injury and bacterial issue
I had just got him a day ago and now he's dead of a bacterial infection, truly unbelievable, maybe it was already in its finally stages and finally just couldn't take the stress

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had just got him a day ago and now he's dead of a bacterial infection, truly unbelievable, maybe it was already in its finally stages and finally just couldn't take the stress
It may have been infected already, suffered an injury from netting or scrape . Uronema does this, but doubt it was uronema.
Lets get a second opinion @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large tang and a grouper in a ten gallon tank may be a concern. What was the ammonia level? Does the tank have good aeration?

When fish died with flared gills, that is often a sign of oxygen deprivation - either from a gill disease or from a lack of oxygen in the water. The grouper breathing at 100 BPM is a sign of rapid breathing.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large tang and a grouper in a ten gallon tank may be a concern. What was the ammonia level? Does the tank have good aeration?

When fish died with flared gills, that is often a sign of oxygen deprivation - either from a gill disease or from a lack of oxygen in the water. The grouper breathing at 100 BPM is a sign of rapid breathing.
I had a pump pointing right at the surface agitating the water all around the aquarium, the sailfin tang is about 6 inches, the grouper about 2 inches, is it possible for a fish to have both a gill disease and a bacterial infection? The ammonia is zero because I had added sponges from my 210gallon tessalata aquarium

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pump pointing right at the surface agitating the water all around the aquarium, the sailfin tang is about 6 inches, the grouper about 2 inches, is it possible for a fish to have both a gill disease and a bacterial infection? The ammonia is zero because I had added sponges from my 210gallon tessalata aquarium

Gill diseases can be any of three causes: bacterial, protozoan or flukes. Sometimes, you can get a combination of these in the same fish (for example, damage from flukes can lead to bacterial infection).

I'm still worried that the tank does not have enough good aeration - air stones are many times better than just pointing a pump at the surface.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gill diseases can be any of three causes: bacterial, protozoan or flukes. Sometimes, you can get a combination of these in the same fish (for example, damage from flukes can lead to bacterial infection).

I'm still worried that the tank does not have enough good aeration - air stones are many times better than just pointing a pump at the surface.
I also have a hang on the back pushing out water on the maximum, my sailfin tang is breathing normally but if it was the case with the multiple diseases then I am truly just out of words, i just got the dead fish out and it seems to be having some extra mucus

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just checked the ammonia levels through api test kit and it showed me 1ppm of ammonia i don't know if it's because the fish died or because the ammonia was already high (i don't know for how long the fish was dead since I was at college, i saw it dead when I came back) just for some accuracy, I checked my 1.5 year established 210gallon aquarium with my tessalata which I've not fed for about 4 to 5 days and it shows about 0.50 or 0.25 so i believe that the test kit is just not as accurate

Attachments

• IMG_20240403_195825.jpg
    IMG_20240403_195825.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240403_195856.jpg
    IMG_20240403_195856.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal is it possible for ammonia to go high even when I used media from an established aquarium? I also cleaned out a dirty sponge from the aquarium and used some of that exact water to put in my quarantine tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked the ammonia levels through api test kit and it showed me 1ppm of ammonia i don't know if it's because the fish died or because the ammonia was already high (i don't know for how long the fish was dead since I was at college, i saw it dead when I came back) just for some accuracy, I checked my 1.5 year established 210gallon aquarium with my tessalata which I've not fed for about 4 to 5 days and it shows about 0.50 or 0.25 so i believe that the test kit is just not as accurate
The API ammonia test is an issue. However, if you tested this tank and got greener result than in your main tank, there was likely some excess ammonia present.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal is it possible for ammonia to go high even when I used media from an established aquarium? I also cleaned out a dirty sponge from the aquarium and used some of that exact water to put in my quarantine tank
Unlikely, but possible. The fish waste/bacteria relationship is dynamic and tough to predict. A good ammonia test helps monitor that.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back