Who likes their LED Lights?

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked my Bridgelux setup I had, but I love, love, love my new build using Luxeon Rebels. Best color I have ever seen, hands down. Creams any metal halide in power, coloration, and efficiency.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless someone gives me a money tree, I don't see ever going back from LED's. (I will still vouch that Radium halide bulbs on HQI ballasts give the best overall color I've seen.)

That said, I'm happy enough with my Ecoxotic Panoramas (1st gen) even at the cost. (~$100 per 12 watt stick and I have four...one is already dead.) The GU10-based light I built was so cheap (all-inclusive cost of about $4 to $6 per bulb for 30 bulbs) that I'm still a little in disbelief that it is working so well. :) I like the growth results from both LED systems (both are blue+white only).

I've said it a few times before, but again just for perspective on the economy of LED's: I would still be financially ahead of a comparable halide or T5 system even if I throw this whole GU10 light in the trash every six months and build it new from scratch.

-Matt

Last edited:

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my led's. I want to put them on a controller though as the potentiometers are worthless. Anyone know any good controllers I could use with my meanwell drivers?

mcghee33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people seem to use Neptune Apex controllers. My friend uses an Apex jr with the needed VDM module to dim the LEDs. This is your cheapest option and a lot of people use the apex controllers so it will be easier for support. This is what I willbe buying to control my LEDs once I get my fixture completed.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine for sure. DIY fixture with neutral whites, cool whites, royal blues, and a few greens. All Cree bulbs and color and growth are fantastic!

Mike D "like the beastie boys" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used PCs, Halides, T5's, a combination of Halides and T5s, and I'm currently using AI LED's.. I'm have a Sol Blue Nano over my 17inch cube (Elos Mini) and so far I'm very happy with it. I love the controllability, the low heat, low watts, and the sleek look over the Mini tank (even with the hanging bracket). The colors under the Royal Blue LED's are out of this world. However, I would like to see the cool white LED's replaced with a warmer white color to help round out the spectrum.

All that said; it's tough to tell colors on the 'net, but the tanks I've seen with the absolute best color have absolutely come from T5 only tanks (and usually with 8-10 bulbs). Granted, there are tons of variables outside of lighting, and I'm sure it's not as simple as "T5's are better than LEDs"... I know my tank would have better color if I got a little better with nutrient control (it's a work in progress).

With my new 60 gallon cube build... the question remains.. T5's? Halides? LED's? I'm not sure, and have spent considerable time and energy researching.:nerd:

ckozma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the spectrum and color or my Mazarra P Series. Excellent growth so far, but I haven't had them long enough to know exactly. Previously had maxspect g2 110's and before that t5.

Detroit_306

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the cheap black box over my cube, colors were extremely washed out, would lose some corals, switched to a mh/t5 combo for the 90, LEDS need a few more years to equal growth/coral/affordability for typical folks imo

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All that said; it's tough to tell colors on the 'net, but the tanks I've seen with the absolute best color have absolutely come from T5 only tanks (and usually with 8-10 bulbs).

I couldn't agree more based on what I've seen in person with T5's, LED or Halides. I had halides for about 10 years & T5's for the last two & my colors pop the most under the T5's.

I've seen many tanks in person with LEDs & not one could touch the T5's in color. None of these were full spectrum LED setups like Radions or some of the Mazzeras, which at least offer more of a full spectrum look. If I was to switch to LED's I' wouldn't be happy without supplementing with T5's, so I'm waiting till people can come up with a DIY setup or a commercial unit that can rival T5's.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am switching to LED's thinking about it. Anyway I already have a driver build. Marked with my YF signature :) 2000w max.
DSCN3801.jpg

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my setup. Consists of 2 x 24" heatsinks, 108 LEDs on 9 drivers. Each heatsink has 3 strands of 12 LEDs, one of which is all blue, the other two are mixed with white and blue. I used an aluminum L to fasten the three heatsinks together with rivets.

2011-08-11_18-12-30_183.jpg

2011-08-11_18-27-02_777.jpg

2011-08-12_14-18-36_747.jpg

72 LEDs running (white and blue - not with the all blue strands)
2011-08-12_21-16-04_968.jpg

How the LED strands, positive in and negative out from the LEDs, connect to the drivers on the other side of the wall:
2011-08-12_19-17-59_907.jpg
is that a HD vent ? or a heat sink, where did you get it ?

bluwinghawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice thread setup need to copy some of the 1st lighting setup love the leds everyone always comments on the veiwing but, i have a situation with what looks like a white fuzzy alge?maybe growth that if i leave alone will turn into a big mass of cotton candy and the only reason im putting it her is because my daughter bless her hart ask this question? dad why does it grow in the dt and not the sump?so i put this queation to you all the only diffence between the two is i have a 50/50 flourensent on sump cool white,high noons and royal blues in leds on dt
p.s. been here in back ground summer been real busy for me hi to you all again
blu

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE my LED! I've been LED for over 3 years now and wouldn't have it ANY other way!

You know what they say...

"One you go LED you never go back" LOL!

I know that's not true for many because they miss the stupendous growth of MH but with the right LED combination and if you use enough of each color (more than 2 colors is much better) you get stupendous growth and eye popping coloration even in a total SPS tank. It's about having the RIGHT LED and ENOUGH LED!

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am switching to LED's thinking about it. Anyway I already have a driver build. Marked with my YF signature :) 2000w max. DSCN3801.jpg

What? I thought you were hardcore MH!

I too am thinking about buying LED as I will probably have to replace my fixture very soon. Anybody have any links to some good LED info (for dummies)?

my2girls

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my LEDs. I also would not have any other lighting. My tank is in the living room. The wife doesn't like any ghetto DIY where everyone can see it. She's very pleased with the Acan 104!

Jake1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my LEDs I have 5 reef brites over a 75 going to put 3 more over soon. I have the other 3 but need to make a new bracket. Color is amazing but since it's only blue and white I think I might make a stripe with other colors to go with it

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back