why are my fish so unhappy in QT?

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish seem to hate and die in QT? Where is my mistake? I have (2) 10 gallon tanks that I use for TTM during QT. Currently I have one fairy wrasse and a ruby red dragonet in QT on day 4. All I am adding is a tiny bit of Prime less then one ring for the capfull b/c my 10 gallon tank is filled to about 6 gallons. My ammonia alert badge with a light shining in the back shows yellow. I have PVC for hiding and a blue backdrop. I have an air line hose.. and I am experimenting with a powerhead also to increase water flow? The wrasse in QT does eat... but if not eating he absolutely hides in the pvc? The ruby red is not eating that I can see. I am currently trying to hatch some brrine shrimp for him.

My QT is in my office so I get plenty of time to watch. No flashing / scratching / or weird swim habits. Is this normal for the fish to be so unhappy in QT? In my last QT process tank I had a Red Head salon fairy wrasse.. he was miserable in QT breathing heavy... and being very reclusive. In my DT he is doing amazing... Swims around, eats like a pig, and seems to always come out when I enter the room.

Why are my fish so miserable in QT? I know i need to QT but I think they have such a better chance living if I just place them in my more stable DT? During my last QT I lost a pygmy angel and now I am sure I lost this fish due to prazi and prime together.

Any issues you see with my set up?

Neptune

upload_2016-8-24_15-16-27.jpeg

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - as I am moving them between tanks every 2-3 days.. I was only going to keep it half way full? When I had two wrasses in QT I did have it full? Still they were super unhappy? One died : ( He never ate in QT. I had a flasher wrasse and a Fairy Wrasse.

Neptune

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be very normal for a fish to be stressed in QT. I've had several fish that hid every moment in QT and never swam around happily. Once they go in the display they are happy as can be and healthy since they went through my QT process. It can be a good thing- the stress that is- because it can force out any hidden problems so you can address them before they go into the display. Just remember, they arn't in there for a very long time at all, so it's not as bad as getting velvet and dying quickly along with everybody else in the tank, instead, right?

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I have never quarantined fish that appear healthy. They stress more in a glass jail cell and get sick. So would I .[emoji848]

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I have never quarantined fish that appear healthy. They stress more in a glass jail cell and get sick. So would I .[emoji848]

This is how people get ick and velvet into their tanks and wonder "how on earth did this happen? Everybody looked healthy!" No big though, we are here to help those people when it happens. :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how people get ick and velvet into their tanks and wonder "how on earth did this happen? Everybody looked healthy!" No big though, we are here to help those people when it happens. :)
X2

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If QT does "stress" a fish then I say that is a good thing as any diseases the fish is carrying will quickly show up. I'd rather know about it (and deal with it) in QT before the fish ever enters my DT and is a ticking disease time bomb. ;)

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress is not good for us when we are sick or even healthy, maintaining homeostasis is. It can't be good for a fish either and can be outright the cause of sickness. Especially a fish that has already been through a lot before he arrived at the LFS. The most important thing to me when buying a fish is a healthy overall appearance, especially the belly area, and a good appetite. If I don't see this, I'm not bringing it home.! This post started with Neptune stating, "My fish seem to hate and die in QT". Perhaps there is something being done wrong,I don't know, but stress is definitely not the solution people! I have never quarantined a fish, 25 years into the hobby. I have had infrequent outbreaks of ich and even lost some fish to it, but never a complete wipe out. Most fish have overcome the ich within the DT. I utilize a holistic approach, starting with a stable environment that the fish feels happy in, the DT. Then I treat by mouth with favorite foods soaked with garlic solution and Selcon. The Selcon is very important as it contains fatty acids DHA and EPA which are very helpful IMO. Medications I feel are like cancer treatments in humans, if it doesn't cure the fish, it kills the fish. I use the Selcon 2x/week as a preventive as well. Here are some of my fishes about 10 years old now. Healthy, big, and great coloration.[emoji4]
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1472099532.892792.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back