Why are powerheads needed?

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It benefits the corals and provides oxygen.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide if I should just upgrade my old mag return pump or put in a powerhead?

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It benefits fish as well. The flow allows for surface agitation for gas exchange or oxygenation. For corals, it helps bring them food/remove organics and for the tank it helps to prevent the build up of detritus and algae growing and rocks and sand.

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put in powerheads. The flow produced from the return nozzles won be enough flow for either side of the aquarium. If the return nozzle is on one side then it won't be enough for the other opposite side. Algae will grow without strong flow in dead areas.

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads are more for corals but marine fish seem to love random flow. A couple of powerheads are cheap and provide more flow per watt because they aren't fight head pressure or plumbing. So long as you have enough through put on your sump, it would be cheaper in both initial cost and power to slap on a couple AC powerhead pumps for flow.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a couple of soft corals. Seem to be doing fine. The powerhead I was thinking about was the echo it's not cheap. Last time I tried a powerhead by gfi kept popping.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget, most fish appreciate the water movement as well...they come from reefs where there is constant water movement, sometimes turbulent.

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget, most fish appreciate the water movement as well...they come from reefs where there is constant water movement, sometimes turbulent.

Agreed. When I turn off my powerheads, my fish seem to slow down as if they're bored, lazy, unmotivated. When they turn back on, they become energized and playful. Almost like superman exposed to kryptonite and superman exposed to the sun lol!:D

FishLover01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads help to provide surface agitation which provides more oxygenated water. Also, they keep food suspended longer to give fish more time to eat it before it settles on the bottom. They help to prevent detritus from building up in the substrate which keeps nitrates at a manageable level so Powerheads benefit both fish and coral.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads aren't needed in a fish only tank. They only agitate the surface if pointed upwards. While most fish we keep come from turbulent water they don't need it to survive in captivity. Also as stated powerheads do move the water around helping keep detritus suspended in the water longer so your filter or filter sock can remove it. Powerheads alone won't lower nitrates though Ha I wish I just buy 15 powerheads and have zero nitrates. But I would get one for your tank. It can only help

FishLover01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads aren't needed in a fish only tank. They only agitate the surface if pointed upwards. While most fish we keep come from turbulent water they don't need it to survive in captivity. Also as stated powerheads do move the water around helping keep detritus suspended in the water longer so your filter or filter sock can remove it. Powerheads alone won't lower nitrates though Ha I wish I just buy 15 powerheads and have zero nitrates. But I would get one for your tank. It can only help
I agree mostly with what you're saying but overall powerheads can help to reduce nitrates just from keeping detritus from building up worse than if you had no powerhead. Really, the best way to reduce nitrates is thru water changes.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerhead move detritus around. Doesn't remove it. Instead of the poop being on the bottom of your tank it will be pushed around the tank. Unless the filter or filter sock catches it. Then if you clean or remove the filter sock. Then the nitrate is removed from you tank. Water changes reduce nitrate because you take dirty water out and Put clean wAter back.

harryball69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just think... All the coral reefs in the world have current. Its a part of what nature does to make them and are tanks beautiful...

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish love the power heads. Most of them will pick a spot with current and swim to stay in place.... sort of a fishy treadmill. They also power head surf. They swim in from the side of the power head and then right into the direct blast and ride the current for a couple of feet. Finally, I feed with the power heads off. When they come on again, I drop thawed mysis or brine shrimp into the power head blast. The fish love chasing down moving food.

Power heads also help with oxygen mixing. They also stir up detritus which gets sucked up by the over flows and caught by the filter socks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back