Why do Reefers Dose?

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha that's way over my head but I kinda get it.... So I dose kalk through my ato could I dose the vinegar with that? Or should I do it separate?

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also whenever I test nitrates I get a number, usually 5 or lower... But when I do phosphates it's always 0 but I think it's being used up so it reads 0...would that be a problem if dosing vinegar?

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha that's way over my head but I kinda get it.... So I dose kalk through my ato could I dose the vinegar with that? Or should I do it separate?
You can put the vinegar right in the ato with the kalk.. some people do this because it actually allows you to mix in more kalk if standard saturated limewater isn't adding enough alk/cal.

Personally I don't know if I'd go that route when just starting vinegar dosing though because you need to ramp it up, so your changing the vinegar dose weekly. I suppose if you're ato container is only big enough for a week worth of top off it would make it simpler. That's not to say it can't be done, but when just starting out and trying to wrap your head around it, it's probably a bit easier to do so if you keep them separate IMO.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go that route either, unless you determine you need the vinegar to give an extra kick to the limewater potency.

I use both limewater and vinegar, but I choose to not combine them.

I want better control over the vinegar dosing (time of day, total amount, etc.) than comes with limewater in an ATO. :)

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay...Yeah I would prefer to have more control of the dosing also! What about people who add "good" Bacteria to eat away cyano issues? Or does vinegar dosing help with that process also?

tzsetzse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka and vinegar are new to me. We never considered adding anything like this back in the day...well, at least in MY day, LOL.
Can someone explain HOW MUCH of each is recommended as a "regular" dose. Or, as I would assume, the dosage depends upon the bioload?
AND....white vinegar? Cheap vodka or the Grey Goose variety, lol?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay...Yeah I would prefer to have more control of the dosing also! What about people who add "good" Bacteria to eat away cyano issues? Or does vinegar dosing help with that process also?

The only reason to add bacteria, IMO, is if cyano had become established that would feed off the added organics, and so might become worse. UIf that is happening, you'd want to get some nonphotosynthetic bacteria in the tank that would thrive on the vodka or vinegar.

In mos tanks, these come rapidly on their own, and the3re's no need to add any. But in some cases, it might be true that cyano gets the upper hand.

I do not know if any commercial bacteria that one adds actually thrive on vodka or vinegar, but they might.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka and vinegar are new to me. We never considered adding anything like this back in the day...well, at least in MY day, LOL.
Can someone explain HOW MUCH of each is recommended as a "regular" dose. Or, as I would assume, the dosage depends upon the bioload?
AND....white vinegar? Cheap vodka or the Grey Goose variety, lol?

There is no regular dose. You add it to drive bacterial growth for various reasons, and the extent of the problems it is trying to solve will help determine a dose.

Here are a couple of articles:

Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

Reefkeeping Magazine - Vinegar Dosing Methodology for the Marine Aquarium

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if any commercial bacteria that one adds actually thrive on vodka or vinegar, but they might.

I collect that bacteria right here Randy. Under these snails who keep it warm for me.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a chance Randy. Most of those snails are good friends of mine. Here they are picking parasites off my feet.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back