Why doesn't triton lab test alkalinity?

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In just got my results back and was surprised to see that they don't test alkalinity.
Also, my Hanna salinity checker 2.5ppt off. I just calibrated the dang thing at the same time I took the icp samples.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ICP company testing ALK or Phosphate is doing the same test there as you do at home. It is not actually part of ICP analysis. As for phosphate, they could check for phosphorus and approximate PO4

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ICP company testing ALK or Phosphate is doing the same test there as you do at home. It is not actually part of ICP analysis. As for phosphate, they could check for phosphorus and approximate PO4
Do they?
I just cannot imagine a person sitting in a lab doing a titration test!!! He / she would never be able to keep up.

Maybe similar test in principle but I suspect they are similar to KH director, acid based and the machine is faster. KH director is slow, one test every 20/30 minutes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they?
I just cannot imagine a person sitting in a lab doing a titration test!!! He / she would never be able to keep up.

Maybe similar test in principle but I suspect they are similar to KH director, acid based and the machine is faster. KH director is slow, one test every 20/30 minutes.

Titration can be automated, just like ICP. Load the vials into a cassette and let it run on its own. That said, I have no idea what they actually do.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back