Why is my fish Dying? :(

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start a QT! Nothing fancy. Also don't chase ph like everyone said. Research and ask questions many people will help. Run some carbon to help clean tank.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you add the ph adjuster? Do you use rodi water for topoff and to make your salt water? How often are you doing water changes? While damsels are small they can be quite mean. Waite a few weeks before trying any more fish and do a 10-20% water change per week until then. When you're ready to try another fish, observe it in the store for 10-15 min. Look for: is it swimming well, not just moving but does it have vigor and is it strong (good) is getting along with others in the tank (good) or is it being bullied and cowering in the corner (bad), or is it being aggressive towards other fish (bad) and always ask to see the fish you want eat. If it doesn't eat don't get it. The stresses of being captured and passed between many tanks the weeks leading up to when they arrive at the lfs can be more than some can handle stress wise. Before you add another fish move the live rock around in your tank so that the damsel doesn't have the home field advantage with territory. You always want to start with fish that are smaller and less aggressive as well. Also do a quick web search either before a rat the lfs and search "problems with....(sp. you're looking at)". I once bought a 6 line wrasse cause the lfs said they were great fish for the reef. If I would have done my homework I would have learned about 8 out of 10 6 lines are mean. It took me 3 weeks to catch that mean little sucker.
Remember nothing good happens quickly in this hobby so dont try to fix your parameters quickly. This site is a wealth of knowledge and everyone is so friendly so before you decide to alter anything in your tank do a search or post a thread and learn from others mistakes. Then you can approach your tank with greater confidence and be able to provide the best possibly environment for your fish and have a much more enjoyable experience in this hobby.

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a three hour acclimation for a lfs fish could be the problem. I get all my fish from an lfs. I match the salinity in the qt to the lfs water. float the bag for temp and put the fish in. agree on chasing ph. nothing wrong with 8.0. stable ph is more important. dwarf angels often have trouble acclimating to a newer tank. I would let the tank mature more.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of useful info here. Thanks for the tips. Ill not worry so much about the ph. Im currently switching out my crushed coral witb sand. Slow process!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck going forward....and remember, no question is a stupid question if asked for the right reasons ;) Everyone here loves to help.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, just take your time. Patience is a must in this hobby. Unless of course you really like damsels.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a three hour acclimation for a lfs fish could be the problem. I get all my fish from an lfs. I match the salinity in the qt to the lfs water. float the bag for temp and put the fish in. agree on chasing ph. nothing wrong with 8.0. stable ph is more important. dwarf angels often have trouble acclimating to a newer tank. I would let the tank mature more.

+1

Opinion as of late among the experts is to use this method of acclimation as described

bioreactor2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the alkalinity and calc. Keep them stable and you're fish will be happy it will also get you on a pathway to coral one day. I did not see it listed about a skimmer. These are very good at removing waste and at the same time help aerate the water. You definitely have something out of whack for your fish to die that quickly. Focus on the alk not the pH. Water change is probably needed to lower your nitrates. I am surprised your nitrates are as high as they are though since you said it is only your second fish.

Always a learning experience! Hopefully a good one.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.9%
Back