WiFi this and WiFi that!! All good until it is not

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday morning a heavy wind blew a tree over onto a high line in a close subdivision and blew out a transformer. I lost power but it went off and on a few seconds two or three times before going out for the next 3 hours.

My hydros has battery backup installed so I was ok but when power was restored my WiFi modem was stuck in a way that it wouldn’t connect.

Sort story is that I reset the modem to factory defaults and assigned a new name to the SSID or whatever it’s called. I didn’t think I did, but I changed it evidently. :face-with-rolling-eyes: So then nothing would connect without resetting everything to the new WiFi info. People there are 60+ things connected!!

It’s amazing how we have come to have WiFi on everything that plugs in. After nearly a full day trying to reconfigure everything from lights, InkBird, hydros, my wife’s work computers, tv’s and everything else I’m mentally done!

Ok vent over
Coffee Break No GIF by NBC

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday morning a heavy wind blew a tree over onto a high line in a close subdivision and blew out a transformer. I lost power but it went off and on a few seconds two or three times before going out for the next 3 hours.

My hydros has battery backup installed so I was ok but when power was restored my WiFi modem was stuck in a way that it wouldn’t connect.

Sort story is that I reset the modem to factory defaults and assigned a new name to the SSID or whatever it’s called. I didn’t think I did, but I changed it evidently. :face-with-rolling-eyes: So then nothing would connect without resetting everything to the new WiFi info. People there are 60+ things connected!!

It’s amazing how we have come to have WiFi on everything that plugs in. After nearly a full day trying to reconfigure everything from lights, InkBird, hydros, my wife’s work computers, tv’s and everything else I’m mentally done!

Ok vent over
Coffee Break No GIF by NBC
Not to be the smat butt here but..... ups backup anyone?. Even better backup your router. Then when it crashes restore it and BAM your in business!!!

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a UPS for the NVR, modem, router and PoE switch.

But I must ask, why didn't you login to the router and put the SSID and password back to what you had it prior?

I have my mobile Hotspot setup to mimic my home connection, so when I turn it on, my pc and tablet connect the same as if at home.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a UPS for the NVR, modem, router and PoE switch.

But I must ask, why didn't you login to the router and put the SSID and password back to what you had it prior?

I have my mobile Hotspot setup to mimic my home connection, so when I turn it on, my pc and tablet connect the same as if at home.
I’m just tech enough to get it done but not efficiently I guess. I Thought I had the SSID correct but didn’t. Honestly everything in the house is a breeze, but the reef equipment stumps me for a bit sometimes.

I took the opportunity to transfer my 3 reefbreeders lights over to a new app also. Problem is they had to be reset and a schedule reprogrammed on the new app one at a time. It’s all good, just glad it’s done.

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just tech enough to get it done but not efficiently I guess. I Thought I had the SSID correct but didn’t. Honestly everything in the house is a breeze, but the reef equipment stumps me for a bit sometimes.

I took the opportunity to transfer my 3 reefbreeders lights over to a new app also. Problem is they had to be reset and a schedule reprogrammed on the new app one at a time. It’s all good, just glad it’s done.
Don't feel bad I'm a recoving IT guy the second you reset the router you have to reconnect ever thing

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad I'm a recoving IT guy the second you reset the router you have to reconnect ever thing
Ok to add on I would buy a ups backup for the router 100$ should be fine. 2 go to the advanced settings in your router look for back up/restore and make a backup file

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back