OP
OP
wikidd

wikidd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wwwooowww Diesel,yep i know the places Zabbar and our sister island Gozo,Malta is very tiny but has many nice places and what one can see :) Well in 30 years time there has been a lot of changes :) Some for the better others for worse but thats life nowadays ehhh.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! This is an incredible effort. Just beautiful. Mad skills. Tagging along! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
wikidd

wikidd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys i really appreciate your words and know i can count on expert advice from the forums,i the next coming days i will be focusing on the plumbing of the tank,will keep you posted buddies :)

wakeboardgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love this build. I love how the tank fits seamlessly into the room.

From my experience, you may want to have the rubble pillars off the floor of your sump so you can remove any debris easily.

OP
OP
wikidd

wikidd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many thanks wakeboardgeek for the compliments,yes absolutely agree with you about the sump,i think i will but the live rock rubble in the back shelves in the sump,water should trickle between the rocks and the debris wont have the chance to settle under the rocks,i think this might work fine,my only concern would be due the fact that the rubble wont be fully submersed but only trickling from the inlet does any of you guys ever worked this way,pls feel free to comment and send ideas

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be an awesome tank! Can't wait to see it come together!

wakeboardgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many thanks wakeboardgeek for the compliments,yes absolutely agree with you about the sump,i think i will but the live rock rubble in the back shelves in the sump,water should trickle between the rocks and the debris wont have the chance to settle under the rocks,i think this might work fine,my only concern would be due the fact that the rubble wont be fully submersed but only trickling from the inlet does any of you guys ever worked this way,pls feel free to comment and send ideas

I used to have my DT drain into a section full of rubble (similar to yours) but was held within acrylic sheets. This served as my bubble trap. It worked well reducing micro bubbles but collected all the gunk from the DT so my skimmer couldn't get it all.

I'd be afraid to keep rock partially submerged bc of die off entering your water and adding unwanted nutrients.

OP
OP
wikidd

wikidd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm,the problem i taught of the die off from the rock,and lets say in the case of a power failure,no water will be dripping on the rubble,thanks wakeboardgeek,so one problem sorted,so guys wjat best idea would you recommend to fill the 3 trickle shelves,would you use them with some other media or as a primary way of water filtration with foam pads and carbon,which then would be cleaned periodically due to the debris and junk??

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm,the problem i taught of the die off from the rock,and lets say in the case of a power failure,no water will be dripping on the rubble,thanks wakeboardgeek,so one problem sorted,so guys wjat best idea would you recommend to fill the 3 trickle shelves,would you use them with some other media or as a primary way of water filtration with foam pads and carbon,which then would be cleaned periodically due to the debris and junk??

Kinda like old school what you have but still used big in Germany for a FOWLR.
I would if you going to use it do what it is designed for but with a power failure use a small 100 gallon pump in sump only or so with a battery backup.
In that case when your power goes down the backup comes on and your trickle filter will stay fresh cause you have a continues water circulation.
Not that difficult to do with a power failure switch and a battery backup.

Or if you think it's to much of a headache you can always still use the shelves but use them empty and put some LR in the sump or go with a Bio-pellet reactor.
Your tank DT should have enough LR in there for your bio balance.
Or go Zeovit no LR or fudge needed in the sump.

Good luck.
Ben.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just awesome!

debdp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome. I just have one concern for you... the metal hinges on the doors. I've had nothing but issues with the ones I've used and I even tried priming and then painting with Rustoleum products and they still rusted big time. I would imagine if they're stainless steel that would not be an issue. Again, though, that is a beautiful build.

woodzy128

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool build. Im a carpenter so can appreciate what goes into something like that! Are you going to be able to reach into the middle of the tank from the side?

OP
OP
wikidd

wikidd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depdp thanks fot the compliments,yep i know what you are saying,problems with hinges are the usual with these type as i already passed through this problemamy times :) well hopefully these are a little better quality built,well mostly would have to replace in time if it happens,but if so mostly will have to cjange the front door ones,but a friend of mine suggested spraying some silicone spray or Wd40 from time to time just to keep the rusting at low level or slow the process bit as we know sea water eats mostly everything if left unattended and stainless steel havent seen any kind here in malta or online,well DIESEL about the sump i will work it out later in time,what i had in mind firstly was from the Dt inlet water goes down the first shelve with some filter pads to keep the big junk out (cleaning should be done on weekly bases as a routine weekly check and cleaning,second shelf carbon or media third bio media,than goes to the skimmer section,than through the fuge with Dsb,algae/mangroves and liverock then to the return pump,my last refugium i had used to work marvellous and water parameters where kept wonderfull,but as you all know there are heaps of different sytems,well will have to do some torough research,just some pics taken today of some more equipment :) and the pieces to create this system,also some eggrate sheets to start planning some diy liverock/expansion foam,heaps of work still to do amd right now little time to work on due to work and final preperations for moving to mew home :) but slowly slowly we will continue with the setup,keep posting guys and thanks for the advices :) peace to you all.

Attachments

• 1389041554106.jpg
    1389041554106.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 566
  • 1389041579301.jpg
    1389041579301.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 578
  • 1389041599982.jpg
    1389041599982.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 593
  • 1389041619964.jpg
    1389041619964.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 605
  • 1389041642189.jpg
    1389041642189.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 562
OP
OP
wikidd

wikidd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woodzy128 so as a carpenter as a profession did we pass our test me and dad :) keeping in mind we dont have all the automated tools of today but we tried at least and till know we got good words of praise :) thanks again,well from the sides i will manage to reach most parts of the tank still its 160cm so for sure wont reach everywhere plus in the sides i will have the Ro system, reservoir tanks at the top shelf upon Dt,mixing tank beneath ro,chiller on the other and maybe some reactors amd hopefully enough the quarantine tank,but from the front i will have absolutely no problems at all(will still need a three step ladder but as i am not a tall guy :) ) but should be able to work around the tank easily,the woodwork is the biggest we could work out for the wall as still i have to put the sofa to the adjacent wall an also tv as this is in my living :)

Attachments

• 1389042905725.jpg
    1389042905725.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 565
  • 1389042926529.jpg
    1389042926529.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 572
  • 1389043020696.jpg
    1389043020696.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 578
  • 1389043174159.jpg
    1389043174159.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 572

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come ho detto prima Super bello e impressionante maestria in questa build.

E posso dire perché la maggior parte degli europei hanno queste competenze

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back