Will these fish bully the other fish on my stocking list?

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently buying materials for a 180x80x36cm which is about 140 gallons. Every fish I have chosen is peaceful except for a forktail blenny, yellow tang and regal angelfish. I definitely want the angelfish but I'm not sure about the other 2 if they bully my other fish.

My current plan for stocking is
1x Regal Angel
1x Bangaii Cardinal
1x Male Lamrack Angel
1x Canary Wrasse
1x Meleagris Leopard - Def want
1x Male Scooter Dragonet
3x Dispar Anthias

Maybe Yellow Tang - Worried about aggression
Maybe Forktail Blenny - Worried about aggression
Maybe Yellow tail tamarin wrasse - Worried about shortage of microfauna with mandarin, leopard and canary wrasse.

Any input appreciated

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently buying materials for a 180x80x36cm which is about 140 gallons. Every fish I have chosen is peaceful except for a forktail blenny, yellow tang and regal angelfish. I definitely want the angelfish but I'm not sure about the other 2 if they bully my other fish.

My current plan for stocking is
1x Regal Angel
1x Bangaii Cardinal
1x Male Lamrack Angel
1x Canary Wrasse
1x Meleagris Leopard - Def want
1x Male Scooter Dragonet
3x Dispar Anthias

Maybe Yellow Tang - Worried about aggression
Maybe Forktail Blenny - Worried about aggression
Maybe Yellow tail tamarin wrasse - Worried about shortage of microfauna with mandarin, leopard and canary wrasse.

Any input appreciated

Compatibility is one factor of course, but suitability is another that I focus on. Regal angels collected in SE Asia often have a dismal success rate in captivity. If you can acquire a captive raised one, or one from Australia, East Africa or the Red Sea, they may do a bit better. Same thing with the scooter dragonet - I prefer to keep these in tanks with less aggressive feeders so they get their fair share of food.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compatibility is one factor of course, but suitability is another that I focus on. Regal angels collected in SE Asia often have a dismal success rate in captivity. If you can acquire a captive raised one, or one from Australia, East Africa or the Red Sea, they may do a bit better. Same thing with the scooter dragonet - I prefer to keep these in tanks with less aggressive feeders so they get their fair share of food.
I'm going to get mostly captive bred fish from biota - including the regal angelfish. I will be feeding the tank 3-4x a day with mysis and artemia, also half shell clams sometimes and nori if I end up with a tang. Also my refugium will be 30 gallons and I could extend it or maybe have an display refugium just for the mandarin so that it has no competition. I have a 16 gallon tank laying around which I could potentially use for that fish or even a smaller mandarin dragonet.

Edit: do you think the yellow tang would be aggressive towards the other peaceful fish in the tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to get mostly captive bred fish from biota - including the regal angelfish. I will be feeding the tank 3-4x a day with mysis and artemia, also half shell clams sometimes and nori if I end up with a tang. Also my refugium will be 30 gallons and I could extend it or maybe have an display refugium just for the mandarin so that it has no competition. I have a 16 gallon tank laying around which I could potentially use for that fish or even a smaller mandarin dragonet.

Edit: do you think the yellow tang would be aggressive towards the other peaceful fish in the tank?
Compatibility is always a bit of a guess, as there is a bit of individuality when it comes to fish getting along. The yellow tang should be ok unless the regal is really tiny, but it’s always best to have a plan B, a tank divider or a second tank. I’m not a huge fan of using small acclimation chambers, some fish don’t adapt to their small size.

I reread your post and saw you are also aware that tamarin wrasses can have a feeding issue as well - that’s good you know that going in.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compatibility is always a bit of a guess, as there is a bit of individuality when it comes to fish getting along. The yellow tang should be ok unless the regal is really tiny, but it’s always best to have a plan B, a tank divider or a second tank. I’m not a huge fan of using small acclimation chambers, some fish don’t adapt to their small size.

I reread your post and saw you are also aware that tamarin wrasses can have a feeding issue as well - that’s good you know that going in.
I think i'm going to scrap the tamarin wrasse and yellow tang for now, going to try to keep the stocking list as more of a raja ampat indonesian biotope with peaceful fish (except for the regal) that are found in shallow waters

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 169 74.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.0%
Back