Would a system like this work for raising clownfish?

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've been trying hard to raise clownfish and haven't quite managed it yet, mainly due to my rotifer cultures but I'm getting there now.

With clownfish laying eggs every 2 weeks I'm wondering if I can streamline raising them a bit more.

I came across this system on YouTube.

I'm wonder if you more experienced people could comment on if it would work?

I think the idea is sound, a larger body of water with a filter for biological filtration that slowly dips this water into small trays where the fry would be kept.

If you used rotifer mesh on each tray for the outflow area I don't think feeding would be an issue, rotifers would stay within the tub

Would this work or am I missing something?

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've been trying hard to raise clownfish and haven't quite managed it yet, mainly due to my rotifer cultures but I'm getting there now.

With clownfish laying eggs every 2 weeks I'm wondering if I can streamline raising them a bit more.

I came across this system on YouTube.

I'm wonder if you more experienced people could comment on if it would work?

I think the idea is sound, a larger body of water with a filter for biological filtration that slowly dips this water into small trays where the fry would be kept.

If you used rotifer mesh on each tray for the outflow area I don't think feeding would be an issue, rotifers would stay within the tub

Would this work or am I missing something?

Thanks

For clownfish, clear rectangular fry containers are not the best. If you built this with small BRTs (black round tubs) it would work better.

Rotifer mesh on the outflow is going to clog really fast, daily (or more) cleaning would be required.

Jay

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back