OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the trouble, and the fear can really suck, but when things take off it's rewarding! Even when my tank is going well some things just don't make though...

How often are you over to see the tank?

I do my best to go over once a week. The way my body is, though, and with a couple of my friends going through hard times, it's been tough to keep that up. Hopefully things settle out soon so that I can be over more.

I also worry about my tank and being responsible for the creatures I keep. When I was servicing tanks for the lfs I worked for I once took care of a beautiful 250g bowfront. It was a FOWLR system with puffers, tangs, clowns, angels and cardinal fish. I was super busy one week as I was preparing to go on a mission trip and doing a lot of tanks, the 250g bowfront among them. I was tired and it was the end of the day but I remember stopping for a minute just to enjoy how good the tank looked with its 16 fish in the peak of health and then I left. It still horrifies me to remember when I got a phone call at 7 am the next morning, the office the bowfront was in said that the tank was full of dead fish. In my weariness I had forgot to turn on the return pump and 11 of them died of lack of oxygen. I cried for weeks because I knew my careless mistake caused their deaths. I finally reconciled with myself because we are human and even the most conscientious of us can make mistakes. That is why we need God's grace. We purpose to do our very best, but when things go wrong we need to follow the Lord's example and give ourselves grace. That is how I was able to move forward!
Oh wow....ouch....but yeah....thanks for that. <3 The remaining critters are doing really good, though, and I hope it stays that way!

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginning to think I am in serious need of an ATO. My Dad tries but it gets so low that the skimmer can't work part of the time, and I'm starting to get red slime again (ugh). Any recommendations for a good one that won't break the bank?

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congratulation on new start. You may look for some used ato that often sell on r2r or reefcentral.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, guys <3

I usually get over there once a week to maintain and enjoy it, though lately I haven't been as able due to physical pain (well, that's MOST of the reason.)
When I have a new animal in QT I will usually stay a week or two solid to observe and make sure it starts eating properly.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend was quite the adventure in aquarium cleanup x.x I had neglected it because a friend of mine was in bad shape and needed me to be there, so I didn't want to leave home for long. Vinegar-soaked and cleaned my skimmer thoroughly, replaced the sump light because the ballast burnt out, sucked all the detritus I could out of the sump with a turkey baster, sucked up a large amount of red slime from my tank, added purigen, changed water, dipped a couple rocks for pests and ended up redoing my entire scape, removed a ton of bristleworms and asterinas, chipped off some vermetids, and cleaned the glass till I couldn't physically continue...WOW I am tired. And still no photos. No wonder nobody follows me. At least the two fish are doing terrific - Rod the Purple Tang and Blue the Hippo Tang are doing fine and getting along great.

Unnerving news, though...I may have to take the tank with me when I move...assuming I can even find an apartment complex that will accept it. Yikes!!

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news!! I've found a place that will let me keep my animals, including my aquarium. Water bill will be $25 per person per month, though I didn't get a chance to ask about the electricity bill. Should be able to handle that just fine. Now to get it over there...I have a plan...my favorite LFS rents out tanks and I will be able to use that to keep my babies safe until the tank is moved and stable again. The move itself scares me, but I'll deal. :)

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....I'm realizing I'm really not okay. Thinking about having my tank with me and the possibilities that holds are helping hold me together, but frankly I'm having crying fits. My right arm from my shoulder to my fingers aches like mad, and the rest of my body isn't much better. I'm excited and anxious and depressed all at the same time. UGGGGH.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congratulation on new start. You may look for some used ato that often sell on r2r or reefcentral.
Sorry, I didn't see your post before. That's a good idea. I'm also looking to check out what it would cost to get a steel stand for it before I move it.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news!! I've found a place that will let me keep my animals, including my aquarium. Water bill will be $25 per person per month, though I didn't get a chance to ask about the electricity bill. Should be able to handle that just fine. Now to get it over there...I have a plan...my favorite LFS rents out tanks and I will be able to use that to keep my babies safe until the tank is moved and stable again. The move itself scares me, but I'll deal. :)
This is great news Eienna.:)

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More later ;)

IMG_20150626_155055_zpsw5z0vaqq.jpg

IMG_20150626_173418_zpshy8p9a1o.jpg

IMG_20150626_173520_zps9oodfrlr.jpg

IMG_20150626_154923_zpshwxyskba.jpg

IMG_20150626_154736_zpsddmvvdnm.jpg

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, guys, I've made some bad decisions and probably made myself look like a real Bobbit worm from time to time. I'm really, really sorry...I'll be starting a new thread soon, one in which I hope to grow and avoid making the mistakes of the past. I need to wipe it clean and try again, and this tank move is a brilliant opportunity. I'm looking forward to a fresh thread and a fresh start.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back