Yellow Coris Wrasse -- Shrimp Safe?

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had always thought so, recommended it as such, and had it recommended to me as such. I recently got the oppurtunity to get one in a special done by one of my LFS's for $10, so I jumped on it. The fish is coming in on Monday, tomorrow. I have a Peppermint (little bugger didn't eat the Aiptasia :sad:) and a male Harlequin shrimp. Today, doing some reading on another forum, there was a comment that makes me doubt its safety. I love my Harley, so I naturally overreact to anything that might be a threat to his safety. Hopefully, this is just a person that was misinformed and I am worried about nothing. It was my assumption that the H. chrysus is also too small to do any real damage to full-grown shrimp. Have I read wrong? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I wasn't going to QT the wrasse because I'll have two others (two C. rubripinnis) that are coming with the same order that I planned to QT. With sand provided, would the fish be fine in a 20g long QT with these two fairies, just in case?

frank a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one in with my shrimp also have a harlequin shrimp never bothered them.Good Luck

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one with a full grown peppermint and it never touched him. Should be perfectly safe.

OP
OP
revaltion131

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm sure you can imagine how much I panicked. Nice thing is that I do have a second, shrimp-free tank that, while a little young for my tastes, would be a suitable home if it had been a serious threat. Looking at WWM's FAQs, they seem to think it isn't so safe, but like you all have said and I have heard, it'll hopefully be fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revaltion131

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for help all of you offered. Sadly, I did not see the fish live long enough to see if it would bother either shrimp. The fish came in yesterday healthy and behaving well, it even stayed out and cruised the tank a little before checking into bed. As I expected, it didn't come out at all today. I came home tonight after a long evening which included an emergency trip to the LFS for some meds for my sick CBB (that's another long issue, but I think we've got it covered) and after getting its QT ready, I come into the room with the tank the H. chrysus was in and found it in the back corner of the tank with my CUC doing its job.

The only killer that stands out to me besides stress is that my frag rack fell down sometime during the night, tossing all of the frags on it, relatively few. All corals and those they landed on are fine and there are minimal burns from stings. All of the water conditions are where I want them and the other fish seem fine. I did ~1.5 hours of drip-acclimation. I know that drip can be very stressful on a fish, but the LFS heavily recommended doing it with any wrasses and he has always had success doing it with this particular species. I'm chalking it all up to stress. Anything I should look for, or would you all agree?

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just started turning into its adult colors, and I got it when it was a little over an inch (now almost 4"), and its never even looked at my shrimp.

However, smaller hermits will be toast...mine killed for sport...

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maybe just shipping stress? Could you tell if it had any marks on it? I recently had a green wrasse die quickly from what looked like internal bleeding. It looked like it had a bruise on it that kept getting bigger and bigger within a day. I think the guy who netted it for me was too rough with it and caused internal bleeding.

OP
OP
revaltion131

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CUC already had it pretty well reduced. I saved the fish just incase my LFS can do something for me. It was a buy-in-bag special so no QT or anything done in his shop, which equates to no guarantee. When the fish was out and about yesterday night, it looked happy and healthy, even ate right away. The angel pestered him a little, but the wrasse was unbothered and the angel looked intimidated.

I do think it's shipping stress as well. I have no known pests capable of killing it. I saw a nass sitting on top of its lump of sand last night, I guess I should have inspected it then. I guess the nice thing about an established tank is that I had no ammonia to deal with.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 58 43.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 63 46.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back