Yet another zoa ID thread- six varieties, including one strange little one with tiny metallic centers.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
zoas 3.png
zoas 4.png

These four are from SaltCritters, which sometimes has some fairly unusual zoas. Top left are about half an inch across, bottom left are 1/4", the reds on the right (Kedd's Reds?) are maybe 1/3", and then there are those little grayish-blackish ones with green centers that haven't quite opened up yet.

zoas.png
zoas 2.png

Here's the cool ones. These are both from my LFS. The top one looks almost like candy apple greens to me, but with much less green, and then there's this little, 1/4" one that I'm very excited about. I actually had some of these before, coincidentally from SaltCritters, but lost them to a mystery problem. This is only the second time I've ever seen them.
The mouths are a striking metallic orange that's much brighter in person. Anyone have any thoughts? @footgal are you still on here knowing what zoas are? I think I'd posted my previous batch of these, and we hadn't been able to figure them out.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get a good ID you probably need the pictures to be under deep blue using an orange filter. That's the best way to get the colors out. Under whiter lights it's hard to see a lot of the colors.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, yeah, I guess fancier zoas usually are under the strong blues, aren't they. Opposite of IDing creatures and diseases, which usually wants white light.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can scrounge up an orange filter somewhere.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back