Your Guide to Aquarium Photography #5 - Taking Better Pictures with Mobile Phone Cameras

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What device you are using? Depending on that the feedback will differ :) . Any photo with your coral and fish is good photo, as its your own memory.
But for starter, the camera/phone should be in parallel to the glass of the tank (look at the hammers in left bottom. Keep the subject in focus at 1/3rd.
Rest looks ok. If its a good phone, there is a scope of improving in-phone or post processing settings

I took it with my iPad, no filter. You bring up a good point. I took the picture off parallel with the tank glass to eliminate reflections from out side the tank. What are good techniques to eliminate the reflections? I’ve been frustrated with whole tank shots because of this. This only way I’ve found is to do it at night with the windows covered by blinds and minimal lighting in the room.

Top down shots are equally frustrating due to light reflections.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took it with my iPad, no filter. You bring up a good point. I took the picture off parallel with the tank glass to eliminate reflections from out side the tank. What are good techniques to eliminate the reflections? I’ve been frustrated with whole tank shots because of this. This only way I’ve found is to do it at night with the windows covered by blinds and minimal lighting in the room.

Top down shots are equally frustrating due to light reflections.
You nailed it. Turn off all external light, including any sunlight if possible, light should only come from inside the tank to outside .
FTS is a pain for me as well, Biocubes have curved front .
Camera+ is an awesome app for post processing. I use the optical macro lenses as well, for iPhone, at 65$ they are good bang for the buck

xJumboShrimpx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, slow at work. Reading this just makes me want to fake being sick, go home and have some fun taking pictures of the reef. Thank you for these helpful tips!

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any helpful tips for the iPhone pro 13?
I want to learn to take better pictures overall with it.

corey

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any helpful tips for the iPhone pro 13?
I want to learn to take better pictures overall with it.

corey
unfortunately I only have the pro 12 but again I don't really see any difference in most of the techniques above to take better pics regardless of phone brand or model. I do however have the Samsung S20 ultra and just aquired he S22 ultra and believe the pro mode on the Samsung is better than I phone yet that is a personal preference.

Last edited:

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the android phones def appear to have the better camera and settings. I will look for settings to tinker with.

corey

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You nailed it. Turn off all external light, including any sunlight if possible, light should only come from inside the tank to outside .
FTS is a pain for me as well, Biocubes have curved front .
Camera+ is an awesome app for post processing. I use the optical macro lenses as well, for iPhone, at 65$ they are good bang for the buck

Hi Ranjib,

I’m just starting my reefing journey (5 months new tank); and I would love to take decent photos of it. I’m very bad at taking pictures and I have an iPhone 13 mini that is 2 yrs old.

I see you had recommended in much earlier posts, the app camera+. - is that still your preferred app or is the something new I should get.

I will need simplicity as this isn’t my wheelhouse.

I’d be thrilled to get non-windex photos, but still show the color spectrum of all the wonderful corals I have purchased. Not to mention the fish!

Also, holding the iPhone and pressing button is difficult as I have neuropathy in both hands. I have considered buying an actual camera, nothing fancy or complicated, and no more then $150. Do you recommend any or are you satisfied with mobile phone for your photography needs?

Thank you in advance !

Jennifer

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to take pictures with my digital camera, and could not get a focused close picture. I tried to use a 40mm probably need to go smaller. My phone however was enough for what I needed which was a bristle worm. As far as a cheap camera you may be disappointed. I don't know enough about them. Ever considered a timer? Probably an app for a camera phone available, again I'm ignorant of that as well

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back