ZEBRA EEL CLOUDY EYE MELAFIX?

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Monday I am picking up this moray eel at a great price due to the fact I pointed out it has mild cloudy eye. I have already picked up 8oz of melafix. It says add 5ml per 10 gallons. I have a system that is 160g total volume. That leaves me with not enough melafix to do a 7 day treatment. Upon arrival I will have the eel in a 5 gallon bucket, would it be a good idea to add 2.5ml melafix to the bucket and drip acclimate him to my water for a couple hours? After I add him to tank I will start daily dosing.
20151013_142745.jpg
20151013_142729.jpg

bonesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I recall Melafix can deplete the oxygen levels of the water. While drip acclimating there is not going to be a lot of water movement/oxygenation. For that reason alone Id avoid doing it, but make sure you also hear what others suggest.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with "cloudy eye" is it can mean a lot of different things. Could just be an injury (especially if it's in one eye only.) Could be flukes. Could be a bacterial infection. So first thing to determine is: Does the fish have one or two cloudy eyes?

BTW, that eel looks kinda large. I think I'd QT him in something larger than just a 5 gal bucket. ;)

OP
OP
R6REEFER

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20151013_212540.jpg
Yes it's a mild case on both eyes. I've been observing him for the past 2 months before I decided to purchase. I don't plan on keeping him in that bucket for more than an hour or so so the melafix can do its initial treatment. I already have a bucket of water with perfect parameters to pick him up in. The LFS doesn't have a big enough bag haha. He's in a tank that was treated with copper right now, idk if that would have a negative chemical reaction with the melafix? I made him a temporary arch to keep him entertained until I receive reef saver rock. I am also going to Lowes tomorrow to get some fittings to create an under-sand series of tunnels.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, it's not considered safe to use copper on an eel. They do better in Chloroquine phosphate. The first thing I would do is give him a FW dip (see below) to check for flukes, in case that is what is causing the cloudy eyes. If no flukes are present, then you can move on to thinking this is a bacterial disease. I've never had much luck with Melafix, Pimafix. For eye infections I like to use erythromycin.

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes, Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

OP
OP
R6REEFER

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! Yeah the LFS has copper treated in all their tanks so its not up to me. I will do the FW dip then start dosing the tank with the melafix. It's worth a shot, already paid 9 bucks for it today. He's very healthy aside from the mild cloudy eye.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! Yeah the LFS has copper treated in all their tanks so its not up to me. I will do the FW dip then start dosing the tank with the melafix. It's worth a shot, already paid 9 bucks for it today. He's very healthy aside from the mild cloudy eye.

I would go get him tomorrow if you can. The sooner you can begin treatment, the better the odds are of you saving his eyesight.

OP
OP
R6REEFER

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't man :( Wish I could but I'm still unsure about weather or not my tank is cycling. It's pulling some crap I've never seen a tank do before. Should be all good by Monday. I'm about to test again as we speak. Go to my profile and you can find my other post from yesterday.

OP
OP
R6REEFER

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Humblefish,

I picked up the eel shortly after we spoke. He is doing much better! Go check out the post I just made if you don't mind. I have a few concerns

-R6REEFER

Back