Zero Gravity - Reef tank take two

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done a new build thread and probably wasn't going to but I have noticed there aren't many zero edge tanks on here so it'll be good to add one to the mix.

IMG_3835.JPG

This is my second tank in the span of a year. The first was a used Red Sea 650 peninsula from the LFS that decided to leak on me. This new one was something the wife and I would see in a different LFS every time we went there and we wanted it but the price was a bit steep and we honestly just didn't have anywhere to put it so we just admired it on our visits and move on with life.

With the tank leak we freed up a lot of room, easily could accommodate this little zero gravity tank. The downside however is that the capacity is about a third of the RS 650 so there were A LOT of decisions to be made if we even want this thing because there would be so many changes to be made in my livestock in order to have this zero gravity tank. We had a lot of mature fish in there that we grabbed from a family friend who broke down their tank. It was honestly a super tough decision but what really made the decision was the massive stress we went through for this tank leak. It was insanely stressful so a smaller tank was definitely appealing so that was my biggest deciding factor. Also the owner of the LFS took a significant chunk off of the price for me as well once I discussed it with him. Not to mention this new tank is super unique so that part was fun.

Ok, enough of this blah blah blah, let's get to the good stuff.

The new tank was immediately loaded with some of the old live rock, the corals that didn't die in the tank leak and just a couple of fish smaller fish. I added new sand to the tank, no need dragging the old nasty sand over although it was only a year old so it probably wasn't horrible but why risk it. The tank did come with some challenges, there isn't an emergency overflow for this tank so I imagine at some point I will still have water on the floor at some point but it won't be nearly as much.

Overall I love the new tank. It's low enough to where you look down on it. The way the zero edge works it is glass smooth on top so you can see things nicely. I honestly didn't like it at first but have grown to love it.

If you have any zero edge questions I'm happy to answer them. I think this company has been out of business for some time but maybe there are others out there?

Thanks for reading.

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a 110-gallon version recently and plan to set it up in the coming months. I'll be watching your build to glean any information that will be useful.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done a new build thread and probably wasn't going to but I have noticed there aren't many zero edge tanks on here so it'll be good to add one to the mix.

IMG_3835.JPG

This is my second tank in the span of a year. The first was a used Red Sea 650 peninsula from the LFS that decided to leak on me. This new one was something the wife and I would see in a different LFS every time we went there and we wanted it but the price was a bit steep and we honestly just didn't have anywhere to put it so we just admired it on our visits and move on with life.

With the tank leak we freed up a lot of room, easily could accommodate this little zero gravity tank. The downside however is that the capacity is about a third of the RS 650 so there were A LOT of decisions to be made if we even want this thing because there would be so many changes to be made in my livestock in order to have this zero gravity tank. We had a lot of mature fish in there that we grabbed from a family friend who broke down their tank. It was honestly a super tough decision but what really made the decision was the massive stress we went through for this tank leak. It was insanely stressful so a smaller tank was definitely appealing so that was my biggest deciding factor. Also the owner of the LFS took a significant chunk off of the price for me as well once I discussed it with him. Not to mention this new tank is super unique so that part was fun.

Ok, enough of this blah blah blah, let's get to the good stuff.

The new tank was immediately loaded with some of the old live rock, the corals that didn't die in the tank leak and just a couple of fish smaller fish. I added new sand to the tank, no need dragging the old nasty sand over although it was only a year old so it probably wasn't horrible but why risk it. The tank did come with some challenges, there isn't an emergency overflow for this tank so I imagine at some point I will still have water on the floor at some point but it won't be nearly as much.

Overall I love the new tank. It's low enough to where you look down on it. The way the zero edge works it is glass smooth on top so you can see things nicely. I honestly didn't like it at first but have grown to love it.

If you have any zero edge questions I'm happy to answer them. I think this company has been out of business for some time but maybe there are others out there?

Thanks for reading.
Great looking tank! Love the clams in there!

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions,
1) How does one go about cleaning the glass? Mag cleaners? If so do you need a double wet sided cleaner?
2) How much gurgling noise is there? (I know it's hard to quantify this answer but..:thinking-face:)
3) Is there a typical overflow set up (IE, Durso, Bean, Herbie) from the "catch tray" to the sump?

OP
OP
D

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions,
1) How does one go about cleaning the glass? Mag cleaners? If so do you need a double wet sided cleaner?
2) How much gurgling noise is there? (I know it's hard to quantify this answer but..:thinking-face:)
3) Is there a typical overflow set up (IE, Durso, Bean, Herbie) from the "catch tray" to the sump?
1. No mag cleaners as it’s only 12” deep. I just use white 3M pads (no abrasive) or magic erasers.

2. No noise at all really. The skimmer is louder than the drain.

3. Kind of a Bean without one pipe being longer than the other. No emergency overflow at all so there is a risk. I have two valves in there to control the speed of the water which eliminates the noise. When I leave for vacation I open this up and the tank gets loud but virtually no way it can overflow at least.

IMG_3917.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back