Zoa pox panic

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have just noticed a white fuzzy growth on my zoa so had a little google and immediately worried about zoa pox. It took up about 1/4 of the face on my zoa and looked like it could have been some Mysis that was stuck. I tried to blow it off and most came off however has left this white mark. Unfortunately I don’t have a photo of it before but here are a couple from after. As you can see it’s left a mark and doesn’t fluoresce under blues like the rest of the colony. I added a couple of utter chaos zoas a month ago which initially did well however have shrunk away to nothing in the past 2 weeks. Do I have zoa pox ?

AEC4CFDB-B505-4371-9CF9-C76782AC478C.jpeg 902AA675-FF66-4855-8A61-88B27F02FCDD.png

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the little thing in the middle or the spot at the bottom. If its the middle one its just its mouth and if its the bottom white spot it's growing another tentical around the edge. I've never heard about zoa pox before though.

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the little thing in the middle or the spot at the bottom. If its the middle one its just its mouth and if its the bottom white spot it's growing another tentical around the edge. I've never heard about zoa pox before though.
Hi there. No no it was between the mouth and the tentacle I’ll highlight it. I’ve literally had the worst few weeks with the tank and am just expecting the worst now lol. I wish I took a photo before it was like a big white fluffy thing.
7FDE0EB8-181B-4573-BB68-44CB2070C92F.jpeg

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. No no it was between the mouth and the tentacle I’ll highlight it. I’ve literally had the worst few weeks with the tank and am just expecting the worst now lol. I wish I took a photo before it was like a big white fluffy thing.
7FDE0EB8-181B-4573-BB68-44CB2070C92F.jpeg
I see that looks to be tissue damage and after looking at pictures of zoa pox it looks like all the "pox" are on the base of the polp not the head. Did you move the zoa at all and what fish do you have. I'm not the best with this stuff but I'm sure that some one else will help soon enough.

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that could touch the zoas is my conch I was hoping to put them onto some frag rocks tomorrow so they could have more room to grow I guess I’ll have to leave them to recover for a while first. I don’t have any fish currently as they died from ich a few weeks ago.

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that could touch the zoas is my conch I was hoping to put them onto some frag rocks tomorrow so they could have more room to grow I guess I’ll have to leave them to recover for a while first. I don’t have any fish currently as they died from ich a few weeks ago.
Really the only thing that you need to worry about with moving them is the light if its on the same level you can move them if your taking them off of the frag or a rock don't if it is a pest it needs to be diped if its a tear or a scratch on the tissue wait for it to heal.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@John Bolden is correct in that pox usually manifests itself on the mat or stalks, I've never heard or seen it present on the mouth. Looks like some typical aquarium schmutz. I'd see if you can blow it off with a baster. This isn't throwing up any red flags for me atm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back