Zoa Pox - Updated Treatment Recommendations

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I may have a zoa frag w zoa pox and was looking into treatments. It seems there was some good info about a decade ago regarding Furan 2 that worked well, but that was discontinued.

I also have found one thread regarding using CEPHALEXIN 250MG capsules (one capsule per cup of water). This was an older thread from 2011.

What is out there that can work that is readily available? The search feature wasn’t pulling anything up that really gave good guidance.

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the perfect question for me as a dealt with zoa pox like 2 weeks ago. So what I did was used aqualifeRX nitrofurazone powder. Now furan 2’s ingredients are

25 mg furazolidone

60 mg nitrofurazone

I had to eyeball the amount of powder because my scale did not go down to MG. i used about 85 MG per 1-2 cups of water. So I would put a small amount in some clean blank paper and kind of seperate a little of it then pour Into the water you’re dipping in. I recommend using fresh saltwater to rule out any thing that may be causing it in the tank in the first place. I did 25 minute dips of this with the colony for 3 days, after the 3 days I let it rest for 3, if the condition was still bad I repeated dips for another 3 days. I did so much experimentation with this and have had a 100% success rate with the 6 colony’s dipped. On day 2 I also did a high concentration iodine dip for 10 minutes (about 4 capfuls per half gallon) or until water was brown and hard to see into. followed by a 10 minute freshwater dip. Now so things to mention. Make sure that the colony is cleaned off in a seperate batch of clean saltwater to get rid of any of the dip products. Also make sure your tanks temperature and salinity are in check as those are the 2 most common things that cause zoa pox. Below is the aqua life rx nitrofurazone powder linked. Hope this helps and let me know how it works. Better to get this done asap as zoa pox spreads very quickly. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is the perfect question for me as a dealt with zoa pox like 2 weeks ago. So what I did was used aqualifeRX nitrofurazone powder. Now furan 2’s ingredients are

25 mg furazolidone

60 mg nitrofurazone

I had to eyeball the amount of powder because my scale did not go down to MG. i used about 85 MG per 1-2 cups of water. So I would put a small amount in some clean blank paper and kind of seperate a little of it then pour Into the water you’re dipping in. I recommend using fresh saltwater to rule out any thing that may be causing it in the tank in the first place. I did 25 minute dips of this with the colony for 3 days, after the 3 days I let it rest for 3, if the condition was still bad I repeated dips for another 3 days. I did so much experimentation with this and have had a 100% success rate with the 6 colony’s dipped. On day 2 I also did a high concentration iodine dip for 10 minutes (about 4 capfuls per half gallon) or until water was brown and hard to see into. followed by a 10 minute freshwater dip. Now so things to mention. Make sure that the colony is cleaned off in a seperate batch of steamer to get rid of any of the dip products. Also make sure your tanks temperature and salinity are in check as those are the 2 most common things that cause zoa pox. Below is the aqua life rx nitrofurazone powder linked. Hope this helps and let me know how it works because I’m curious if it will work for other people. Better to get this done asap as zoa pox spreads very quickly. Hope this helps!

So you didn’t mix the furazolidone, right? Just used the one med you linked?

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only used nitrofurazone that’s why I used 85 MG instead of 60 and 25 furazolidine. It sounds stupid but it worked and I figured I’d try it. Also just to let you know the nitrofurazone is really hard to mix. I would mix it for 5 minutes until it’s completely dissolved or water is a yellowish tint to it.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

25 mg furazolidone

60 mg nitrofurazone

I had to eyeball the amount of powder because my scale did not go down to MG. i used about 85 MG per 1-2 cups of water. So I would put a small amount in some clean blank paper and kind of seperate a little of it then pour Into the water you’re dipping in. I recommend using fresh saltwater to rule out any thing that may be causing it in the tank in the first place. I did 25 minute dips of this with the colony for 3 days, after the 3 days I let it rest for 3, if the condition was still bad I repeated dips for another 3 days. I did so much experimentation with this and have had a 100% success rate with the 6 colony’s dipped. On day 2 I also did a high concentration iodine dip for 10 minutes (about 4 capfuls per half gallon) or until water was brown and hard to see into. followed by a 10 minute freshwater dip. Now so things to mention. Make sure that the colony is cleaned off in a seperate batch of clean saltwater to get rid of any of the dip products. Also make sure your tanks temperature and salinity are in check as those are the 2 most common things that cause zoa pox. Below is the aqua life rx nitrofurazone powder linked. Hope this helps and let me know how it works. Better to get this done asap as zoa pox spreads very quickly. Hope this helps!

@LiLinka excellent write up.

The reason furan-2 was discontinued is because nitrofurazone has strongly been linked to breast and ovarian cancer. It’s still available as a stand alone medication but it’s worth noting the risk.

I’ve had success using Metroplex on a broad number of bacterial issues, I haven’t hand the chance to try it on pox but it might be another Avenue worth exploring.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back