I have a softy-LPS tank here are the details:

Parameters:
KH: 10
NO3: <25
PO4: 0.04
Salinity 1.025
-All tested with Salifert or Hanna
Volume: 55g, 1.5 yr old
Livestock: 5 fish,L. anthias, scopas tang, fire goby, clown fish, azure damselfish

Description:
Acans open, puff up as they should, they are healthy (2x colonies 1x frag)
Kenya tree corals, healthy
Palys, open and healthy
Discosomas, ricordeas all healthy
Clavularia colonies, all healthy
Gorgonian, healthy open polyps
I do have cyano, but it's very weak
Zoas:
1x head zoa frag, opens but this is the only one out of 6 frags which are either 6 polyped or 5.
There is nothing that touches zoas, so no stinging.
No parasites, 2-3 months ago they started to close

Any ideas?

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Zoanthids like low flow and low par. I keep mine with low flow and around 100 par or less.

Anytime I see issues with then I will do a peroxide dip for a few minutes and they perk back up. Algae growth on or around will irritate them and keep them closed up.

Zoanthids will also be ticked for no reason, close up, and melt over night for no reason.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids like low flow and low par. I keep mine with low flow and around 100 par or less.

Anytime I see issues with then I will do a peroxide dip for a few minutes and they perk back up.
I never had succes with peroxide dipping, they melted during the next day/week. They get around 100 par and low-mid flow. Just like the acans.

Upvote 0

prestonrabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having this exact problem. my zoa rock is on the substrate with the acans and the acans are putting out new heads at a crazy rate. the zoas have been fully closed or partially closed for weeks now, not melting just closed. they are starting to get some algae because of the closures, I gently scrub it off but they still end up closing back up. certain varieties open better than others ( utter chaos, blue hornet, and rastas. The ones that never open are bam bams, fruit loops, etc. mostly orange-colored ones. I have another that I don't know the name of that opens perfectly. It is purplish maroon with a neon green mouth and striations. I'm perplexed as the par is 100 and the other corals at this par level ( acans, duncans, Favia, etc) are doing fine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having this exact problem. my zoa rock is on the substrate with the acans and the acans are putting out new heads at a crazy rate. the zoas have been fully closed or partially closed for weeks now, not melting just closed. they are starting to get some algae because of the closures, I gently scrub it off but they still end up closing back up. certain varieties open better than others ( utter chaos, blue hornet, and rastas. The ones that never open are bam bams, fruit loops, etc. mostly orange-colored ones. I have another that I don't know the name of that opens perfectly. It is purplish maroon with a neon green mouth and striations. I'm perplexed as the par is 100 and the other corals at this par level ( acans, duncans, Favia, etc) are doing fine.
Well for me everything likes to bail-out, so I gave up, I'm building a 2nd aquarium for SPS-LPS (+some softies like zoas and mushrooms) which will only contain the mentioned types.
I have no idea what's the issue, I have sent an ICP test, nothing, did spectrum and par measuring - again nothing
so that's why I gave up fixing that tank.
I figured that it must be some kind of microfauna/flora thing.

The zoas are still closed...
Either way I wish you luck with them.

Upvote 0

prestonrabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for me everything likes to bail-out, so I gave up, I'm building a 2nd aquarium for SPS-LPS (+some softies like zoas and mushrooms) which will only contain the mentioned types.
I have no idea what's the issue, I have sent an ICP test, nothing, did spectrum and par measuring - again nothing
so that's why I gave up fixing that tank.
I figured that it must be some kind of microfauna/flora thing.

The zoas are still closed...
Either way I wish you luck with them.
I moved them to a lower par area and I’m gonna try that for now

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back