Zoas turning brown

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a colony of radioactive dragon eyes and green bay packers. i ve noticed today that some of the polyps are closed and turning brown... What can these be?

OP
OP
Xler8n

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is close to them and i fragged off some of them a while back and those are doing fine. Only some in the colony are turning brown not all. They are ay about mid level in my tank but kind of under the center brace on my 75 gallon so they are not directly under the halides. I recently changed my light bulbs in my sunpod 150 watt X 2 for the first time to 14K Phoenix bulbs. This week they are running at 7 hours. I cant think of what it is either. I dipped them in an iodine dip just to be sure. Can it be a fungus of some sort? I am having a polyp of purple hornets comming on wednesday and im freaking out cuz i dont know if it will be safe....

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them do that, it sounds like a bacterial infection to me. Iodine dips won't work if the dip cannot get inside the polyp where the infections are....

OP
OP
Xler8n

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But where would the infection come from?? I recently added some blue hornets and they dont have the problem. Other people are telling me its getting too much light and therefore turn brown. I guess i will move them down to the sand bed and if they continue to deteriorate i will frag off the good ones.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It don't really have to come from anywhere....A lot of this stuff already has it in them or on them or around them. When they are healthy it doesn't bother them because they are healthy and can fight it off. But if they are stressed from to much light bad water etc..They then they slowly become susceptible to what ever infection that maybe in them at the time.....In unless I am miss understanding what you are talking about....When I have had mine do that they would be a regular colored polyp and stalk, that great-purple color. Then they would close up stay closed and start to turn brown from the base of the stalk and move upwards toward the head of the polyp. Then they would get a little skinny at the base and get like a bulbous top where the polyphead is. Shortly after that the total polyp would begin to shrink and become weak and you could squeeze it and brown goo would come out of it......A picture would help a lot. As far as the purple hornet coming you should be fine just don't put it near the other polyps.

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a hydrogen peroxide dip. Take some tank water and add hydrogen peroxide cap by cap until your frag starts bubbling. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes. That should take care of the outside fungus.

Place them in a higher flow area to blow off the excess crud.

OP
OP
Xler8n

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have to be any special hydrogen peroxide or just a regular brand like from CVS?? Ive heard people mix hydrogen peroxide and iodine.

Tswifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO and experience polyps will brown due to lack of light or extremely high nutrient levels.

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have to be any special hydrogen peroxide or just a regular brand like from CVS?? Ive heard people mix hydrogen peroxide and iodine.

Just the regular brand from CVS is fine. I've tried mixing iodine with hydrogen peroxide before, but the iodine usually causes the zoas to form a translucent shell around them and then the bubbles from the hydrogen peroxide get trapped in there. I dunno if this is necessarily bad, but I usually just go with one dip at a time.

Ball-Barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also had this drama.. you didn't happen to apply any glue did you?...

Where i live we have rock pool shorelines with Infinite colonies of zoas, hundreds of colours, some of which spend a couple of hours a day in a small (and 200ml) rock puddle and some even out of water for a period of time. Never noticed it with zoas in the wild although have seen Palys in the wild showing the browning. The individual polys seem the want to breack away from the colony.

Would love to know the reason!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back