Zoas Won't Thrive!!!! Please Help!

ReeferSasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been a reefer for about 4 years. My current setup is one I spent quite a lot of $$$ putting together and I'd like to keep everything I've got happy and healthy. I've got no problems with any of my SPS and LPS; mushrooms, torchies, candy canes, etc... even my anemones thrive. But it seems every time I pick out a few gorgeous zoa colonies, they disappear within a week or 2. That being said, I DO have one persistent colony of about 8 polyps that's lasted about 6 months but, they're dull and not my favorite. Any help? Maybe it has something to do with placement?
Also, I'd like to note that while my ammonia levels, phosphates, and nitrites have always been at at or close to 0, my Nitrates have always been through the roof....

Lighting: 4 HoT-5s and an 1 Current programmable LED strip (so lighting isn't an issue)

Parameters:
Salinity: 1.024-1.025
Mag: 1350
Calcium: 400
DKH: 9
Phosphate: 0.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 80ppm+

I realize my trates are high but I do biweekly water changes of 15-20% and everything else seems to be fine.
Any advice!? Thanks

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trates are insane level high , calcium is low , KH is to0 high imho

OP
OP
ReeferSasha

ReeferSasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my trates are high, they've always been high. I've been considering getting a maxima clam to help bring those down. But I thought my KH was fine, it's between the 7-11 standard and as for my calcium, it ranges from 400-420, which I thought was fine. Like I said, everything else is fine.

OP
OP
ReeferSasha

ReeferSasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lighting? I thought it was more than enough. 36 gallon bow front. I'll attach a photo

image.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning. Yea I agree on the lights, they should be good. How old is the tank now. I always like to recommend bacteria supplements. they eat the food.
I just tried the Probidio, seems like a fairly aggressive mix of several strains and stronger than Prime. A dr t would be good too.

the rock looks older than the tank am i right? I did once have the legendary Unicorn of the hobby. The bad rock. It was leaching No and Po. took some time figuring that out, but in my case it was so big and beautiful and expensive it was pretty much the only one it could have been.

So having the zoas tap out in days makes me wonder if is not a nutrient thing but a what else is coming in with the high No source.
Are you running carbon?

fwiw, the deep fine sand DSB is going to take a while before its really effective at No removal...

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well before changing anything, I would work on lowering that nitrate. Chaeto is very efficient at lowering nitrates as well as many other macro algae you can put in the display. I didnt thank any corals could really thrive or even survive in nitrates at 80. Surprising to me that the other coral arent showing more symptoms.

OP
OP
ReeferSasha

ReeferSasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm running carbon. I set this tank up in January. I pulled older rock from my smaller tank which I had running for about 2-3 years. Everything's established. I'm not sure which bacteria supplements to get...I dose with Microvert or Phytoplex at least 1x a week. Would those work? And yes, I run carbon and Nite-Out through my fluval 306

image.jpg

OP
OP
ReeferSasha

ReeferSasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well before changing anything, I would work on lowering that nitrate. Chaeto is very efficient at lowering nitrates as well as many other macro algae you can put in the display. I didnt thank any corals could really thrive or even survive in nitrates at 80. Surprising to me that the other coral arent showing more symptoms.
I know! Trust me, I've been trying to get those nitrates down for the last 6 months. I'll look into Chaeto, thank you. Is it something I can place inside my canister filter? I know clams are great at nitrate removal. Thoughts?

Roberts reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy small orange fish eggs from the sushi store sprinkle over top and the Zoanthins love them have doubled in size .

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know! Trust me, I've been trying to get those nitrates down for the last 6 months. I'll look into Chaeto, thank you. Is it something I can place inside my canister filter? I know clams are great at nitrate removal. Thoughts?

Chaeto needs a light source and descent flow. Clams are nice but they are not as efficient at consuming nitrates as macro algae.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm running carbon. I set this tank up in January. I pulled older rock from my smaller tank which I had running for about 2-3 years. Everything's established. I'm not sure which bacteria supplements to get...I dose with Microvert or Phytoplex at least 1x a week. Would those work? And yes, I run carbon and Nite-Out through my fluval 306

image.jpg
The canister really needs to be cleaned every month religiously or more depending on how its set up.. you may be doing that already.

an easy test would be turn off the can, wait a week and retest the no.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back