Zoas

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be doing something right! ; )
Needs a "haircut" but I don't know how. Any suggestions?

image.jpeg

GatorGuys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a nice looking tank!

I guess, my first question would be: What are you wanting to accomplish by 'giving them a haircut'? Zoas don't really need to be 'thinned' unless you are wanting to add other flavors of coral or just want to scale back a specific color - so more aesthetic reasons.

One of the easiest ways to 'thin' them is to take the rock they are on a break into smaller pieces (give those pieces to a friend, sell them, start a second tank, etc). Of course, this will alter your overall rock-work design, so it may not be desirable.

Hopefully others who have had zoas for much longer than I have some other ideas...

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the lower portion is growing over the sand? If so, just razor blade what you want to cut off. I like to use these scalpel things...

scalpel.jpg

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do nothing Sept put some high dollar zoas in there and make a fortune in a few months you apparently have it all dialed in beautiful tank :)

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throw a queen angel she will thin it right out .... ;)
But really though if they are on the sand bed just pull them apart or any of the options above work to

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much everybody for the input and compliments. Definitely going to get a scalpel.
They are growing over the sand and getting close to the side glass and my mag float is not going to be able to clean the glass if I wait any longer.
Going to have many frags after trimming.
Bill

Ari21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much everybody for the input and compliments. Definitely going to get a scalpel.
They are growing over the sand and getting close to the side glass and my mag float is not going to be able to clean the glass if I wait any longer.
Going to have many frags after trimming.
Bill
How much will the frags be?

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
holy crap. That looks awesome. I don't have much luck with zoas. SPS are growing fast, but my zoas are barely growing. What's your secret?

Ari21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
holy crap. That looks awesome. I don't have much luck with zoas. SPS are growing fast, but my zoas are barely growing. What's your secret?
Your water is probably to clean for Zoas.

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water is probably to clean for Zoas.

That's absolutely correct!! I am guilty of over-feeding. I use too much fish food, Coral Smoothie etc.....
Now, I can't grow SPS in my tank like you do....so it's a choice. Clean or dirty is the deciding factor for what we can grow in our aquariums. For now, for me it's dirty. (However, I think I'm going to tear down this tank soon and start over this time going "clean".)
Thanks for the compliment.

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's absolutely correct!! I am guilty of over-feeding. I use too much fish food, Coral Smoothie etc.....
Now, I can't grow SPS in my tank like you do....so it's a choice. Clean or dirty is the deciding factor for what we can grow in our aquariums. For now, for me it's dirty. (However, I think I'm going to tear down this tank soon and start over this time going "clean".)
Thanks for the compliment.
Don't tear it down everything likes a little dirt. Just reduce it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back