“Stability” swings

OP
OP

10galtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30g is like 20g with rocks. So 10g water changes a week is like 50%. That is far to much change out for routine maintenance. I would cut to 5g a week.
Roger that. When I filled it with rock and sand, then added water I was around 25 gallons. I mostly have arches and donuts, no bigger rocks.

OP
OP

10galtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had multiple posts commenting there. Not going to continue to say the same advice over and over. I do not believe instability is the issue, although I did advise on the to stabilize alk more if you wanted to.
Alright Randy. I understand and appreciate your expertise on reef chemistry, but your advice for my situation has been something I’ve been doing for years with this tank. If your advice worked for my tank, I wouldn’t go against your word. However, every tank is different and I believe you know that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright Randy. I understand and appreciate your expertise on reef chemistry, but your advice for my situation has been something I’ve been doing for years with this tank. If your advice worked for my tank, I wouldn’t go against your word. However, every tank is different and I believe you know that.

My advice was (is) two-fold.

1. I do not believe instability in the parameters you posted is causing the problems you report. Thus, I’d keep looking for other issues.

2. Alk stability is easily attained in a low alk demand tank like yours. I do not expect improved stability to have any noticeable effect, since yours has not been varying a lot, but the two things I suggest are;

A. Use daily or even more frequent small doses of an alk supplement and do not change the dosing very often. Slowly make dosing changes.

B. Change smaller amounts of water and make sure it is close to your tank in alk.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back