☆☆ - Spring Grow-Out Class 2 - Houdini Picture Entries - ☆☆

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cubsfan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love my trident… wouldn’t use the new one if I got it for free lol… not interested in knowing my nutrients 24/7 and the constant buying of reagents… my corals tell me what I need to know in that department….
I would love to know nutrients and every other measurable major/trace element of my reef by the minute if possible, and it didn’t cost a fortune. Certainly if it was free.

That’s what I love about this hobby though, everyone enjoys different aspects of it.

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
kind of couldn't help but notice that a lot of you guys have Tridents. curious, anyone thinking about getting the new nutrient one?

Ive been looking at one myself actually. I don't have the older trident though
I've had the original trident for quite a while and think it's great for alk. Ca and Mg seem to work fine if I use my tank water for the calibration. When I use the trident calibration fluid it would struggle to detect trends which defeated the purpose for me.

I've been a part of the beta testing for the new one and so far I like it. I don't think I can say a ton as there's still work being done on the software/firmware. I agree that daily is excessive, but having just switched to it from the mastertronic, I can already tell this is going to be much easier and more reliable.

I want to start playing with ammonia dosing which is currently the biggest reason I am excited about the NP. Will be great to have data daily to dial in the dosing to make sure I'm not overdoing it. I had issues a couple years ago when my nitrates were around 50, though I can't necessarily 100% point the finger at that for some losses.

I've been struggling to maintain a consistent po4 for the entire time I've had this tank up, but to be honest, my tank looks very similar to me whether i'm at 0.05 or the 0.28 that I'm at today. But I do care to see trends to make sure I'm not letting things get out of hand, and now that I have a 10 month old, I'm happy to have the testers so I can be a little more hands off.

All that to say, I think a lot of people are complaining about the price, and they have the option to not buy it. I plan to get a 2nd one for my frag system because I feel it helps me better understand what's going on and gives me a little more peace of mind when I don't have time to test or if I'm traveling for work.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to know nutrients and every other measurable major/trace element of my reef by the minute if possible, and it didn’t cost a fortune. Certainly if it was free.

That’s what I love about this hobby though, everyone enjoys different aspects of it.
I test mine once a month and it’s always the same! I don’t see or need any reason to test daily.
IMG_3961.jpeg

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had the original trident for quite a while and think it's great for alk. Ca and Mg seem to work fine if I use my tank water for the calibration. When I use the trident calibration fluid it would struggle to detect trends which defeated the purpose for me.

I've been a part of the beta testing for the new one and so far I like it. I don't think I can say a ton as there's still work being done on the software/firmware. I agree that daily is excessive, but having just switched to it from the mastertronic, I can already tell this is going to be much easier and more reliable.

I want to start playing with ammonia dosing which is currently the biggest reason I am excited about the NP. Will be great to have data daily to dial in the dosing to make sure I'm not overdoing it. I had issues a couple years ago when my nitrates were around 50, though I can't necessarily 100% point the finger at that for some losses.

I've been struggling to maintain a consistent po4 for the entire time I've had this tank up, but to be honest, my tank looks very similar to me whether i'm at 0.05 or the 0.28 that I'm at today. But I do care to see trends to make sure I'm not letting things get out of hand, and now that I have a 10 month old, I'm happy to have the testers so I can be a little more hands off.

All that to say, I think a lot of people are complaining about the price, and they have the option to not buy it. I plan to get a 2nd one for my frag system because I feel it helps me better understand what's going on and gives me a little more peace of mind when I don't have time to test or if I'm traveling for work.
cool! very interested to hear more thoughts on the nutrient one for sure.

cubsfan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I test mine once a month and it’s always the same! I don’t see or need any reason to test daily.
IMG_3961.jpeg
Mine stay pretty stable, but slide when I'm out of town for 7-10 days. I also tinker to much (dosing ammonium bicarbonate/feeding “the concoction “ and different homemade frozen foods/ICP+dose trace) which need be dialed in and require more frequent testing. This is also my first time going bare bottom which may have something to do with nutrient stability, not sure. I’m I'm how much difference all this makes, but it’s the most enjoyable part of the hobby for me…and corals look the best I have kept in my 15 years in the hobby.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it bad that I have not the slightest idea what a trident or neptune is? I test alk once a month. Threw down an ICP on a $100 bet that my nitrate was over 20 and won easily. I assume these tools monitor daily fluctuations across the board? If this is true then I'm sure I don't want one. :p

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best attempt at a video showing the difference from start to now.
took another pic yesterday and then tried to get it to match up with the original pic and do back and forth view to see whats grown. def has a new growth tip or 2 and is encrusting the glue, and has that yellow tip we see in Adams pics on the site, so moving in the right direction.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 40.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 94 50.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back