Are these diatoms?

ReefNoobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers! Brand new to reefing here and my tanks finished cycling roughly three weeks now. Came home today and saw my tank looking like this and just curious if these are diatoms? Been doing weekly 20% water changes and ensuring my parameters are good.

Any suggestions on correcting this? I completely expected to see these so it is no shock, but I am also not very sure on how to correct the issue. Really appreciate all your help.
algae.jpg

FellowSclownfish20270

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms mainly look like brown spots or splatters on rocks, sand, and glass. But i cant quite catch the color of the stuff on the sand. Let me know if the stuff on the sand is either brownish or greenish when the lights are on because it's kind of 50/50 on both colors. Although the first phase of a new tank will be brown diatoms then algae. Right now I'm going through the diatom phase and they don't look like the exact color to what your sand has because of the lighting.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello fellow reefers! Brand new to reefing here and my tanks finished cycling roughly three weeks now. Came home today and saw my tank looking like this and just curious if these are diatoms? Been doing weekly 20% water changes and ensuring my parameters are good.

Any suggestions on correcting this? I completely expected to see these so it is no shock, but I am also not very sure on how to correct the issue. Really appreciate all your help.
algae.jpg
Are there small bubbles on your rock work? I feel like I see some. If so, it may be dinos.

In my opinion just keep doing what you’re doing and in a couple of weeks they’ll go away. Just part of the maturation process.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

algae.jpg
Diatoms or other early algae. There is nothing to be done besides adding some cuc. It will get worse before it gets better. Welcome to the ugly stage :)

Provate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

algae.jpg
Those are diatoms

OP
OP
ReefNoobs

ReefNoobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thank you all so much for helping. Hoping you can help me with this these recent updates I have. So my nitrates were at around 2-3ppm prior to the ugly stage. Checked them today and they are reading zero and my ammonia levels are at .2ppm. Did a 20% water change yesterday. Is this also normal when algae shows up or should I be taking steps to combat this? Thank you for the help!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back