Coral ID

Alaska209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would anyone be able to identify this coral, I received it for free a month or so ago and cannot remember what it’s called. I appreciate the help in advance!
IMG_1295.jpeg
IMG_1295.jpeg

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry no idea, but it sure looks pretty.
So what is the orange stick in background? I am sorry it looks nice…

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bubblegum Digitata from what I was told when I purchased the frag.
IMG_1336.jpeg
Looks more like "forest fire" montipora to me.

The all green one looks like it could be a hydnophora, but the skeletal growth (what I can see of it) looks a bit off for hydnophora. . . at least to my eye. . . but I have been on a losing streak lately haha. . . probably hydnophora.

OP
OP
A

Alaska209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like "forest fire" montipora to me.

The all green one looks like it could be a hydnophora, but the skeletal growth (what I can see of it) looks a bit off for hydnophora. . . at least to my eye. . . but I have been on a losing streak lately haha. . . probably hydnophora.
I’m far from an expert as I’m only 6 months into saltwater tanks and corals, but it could be a "forest fire” from what I’ve read they are often confused with each other.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m far from an expert as I’m only 6 months into saltwater tanks and corals, but it could be a "forest fire” from what I’ve read they are often confused with each other.
Hmm after some research I stand corrected, I think bubble gum is accurate. Thanks!

Yours does seem to have a blue base and green tips (or at least greener than the forest fire). . . ya learn something new everyday haha

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, assuming that is a hydnophora I would move it much farther away from the monti. . . they are very aggressive and I fear the monti will not last long (my hydnophora just killed a pocillopora and plating monti)

OP
OP
A

Alaska209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, assuming that is a hydnophora I would move it much farther away from the monti. . . they are very aggressive and I fear the monti will not last long (my hydnophora just killed a pocillopora and plating monti)
So far that’s what the consensus has been, let’s see if there is any varying opinions. If it’s the case I have plenty of time to separate them.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back