DIY Ammonia dosing for low nitrate systems

jazzman7838

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean ammonia and phosphate together ? That may grow algae, and is more likely to grow bacteria. Will that happen, I don’t know.
Thank you, yes, the DI water in the ATO has ammonium bicarbonate and trisodium phosphate in it.

My tank consumes 4 dKH of alkalinity and more than 0.1 mg/L of phosphate every day. I’m having to dose a TSP solution twice daily just to keep phosphate from hitting zero. So it seems easier to add it to the ATO. I’ll report back what I see.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, yes, the DI water in the ATO has ammonium bicarbonate and trisodium phosphate in it.

My tank consumes 4 dKH of alkalinity and more than 0.1 mg/L of phosphate every day. I’m having to dose a TSP solution twice daily just to keep phosphate from hitting zero. So it seems easier to add it to the ATO. I’ll report back what I see.

Sounds good! :)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have decided to start dosing ammonium bicarbonate in my main system as well and I’m still a little fuzzy on nitrate testing moving forward.

and, I’m sorry if I missed it. I tried to skim this thread as best I could.

but my question is, while adding ammonium bicarbonate and say my nitrate is steady at around 6.0 when I was dosing actual nitrate. Should I expect my nitrate levels to say the same or will they fall to zero without continuously adding nitrate in lieu of the ammonium bicarbonate?

I guess I’m just not exactly sure what I should be testing for or shooting for at this point with regards to actual nitrate levels

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to start dosing ammonium bicarbonate in my main system as well and I’m still a little fuzzy on nitrate testing moving forward.

but my question is, while adding ammonium bicarbonate and say my nitrate is steady at around 6.0 when I was dosing actual nitrate. Should I expect my nitrate levels to say the same or will they fall to zero without continuously adding nitrate in lieu of the ammonium bicarbonate?

I guess I’m just not exactly sure what I should be testing for or shooting for at this point with regards to actual nitrate levels
My experience was that it took complete place of adding sodium nitrate. I started by cutting my nitrate dosing in half when I first started, but I don’t think that’s necessary at all. I haven’t dosed any sodium nitrate in over six months. After my initial start at trying to maintain around 5ppm nitrate, I’ve settled on around 15-ish. I’ve had zero ill effects at all whatsoever. I’ve been using ammonium chloride but I may switch over to ammonium bicarbonate when I run out. I can’t tell if there’s been a difference between sodium nitrate and ammonium chloride in my tank due to my eyesight but I think it’s been positive based on visitors comments. Randy is the man to an ask/answer as to how far one can go. The initial basis was for low nutrient systems, but I’ve read some that are nowhere near what I envision as low nutrient.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, I remember you reading somewhere that for every 50 nitrates you go up, you will go up 2.3 dkH. Is this correct?

So if you know how many ppm Nitrate you are going to go up, can you calculate the effect on your dkH with:

NewAlk = ppm Nitrate increase * 0.046

0.046 just being 2.3dkH/50ppm Nitrate

EDIT: oh just read the below that it's the ammonia dosing itself that depletes Alk, not the Nitrate level itself

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think it's all a matter of whether or not you have a surplus. If your coral are consuming all of your ammonia then nitrate won't rise (and may fall).

If you're worried about an over dose after a single dose then test for ammonia.

If you're looking to see if you're adding too little or too much over the course of a day or days then test nitrate.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I'm reposting this in case you missed it...

Randy I just want to confirm that I didn't read it wrong but will both recipes be net neutral on pH and alkalinity? I'm using ammonium chloride but if bicarbonate is better for pH or different with alk I may consider switching.

Also I want to give an update I've been dosing about 1mL of ammonium chloride 2x daily (along with raising PO4). Nitrate has tested zero and still does and PO4 I've been sitting between 0.05 and 0.1ppm up from about 0.01-0.03. Algae of course is noticeably darker but I've noticed polyps coming out on some previously stalled smooth skin acros. It's a trend in the positive direction but I will keep updating here.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I'm reposting this in case you missed it...

Randy I just want to confirm that I didn't read it wrong but will both recipes be net neutral on pH and alkalinity? I'm using ammonium chloride but if bicarbonate is better for pH or different with alk I may consider switching.

Also I want to give an update I've been dosing about 1mL of ammonium chloride 2x daily (along with raising PO4). Nitrate has tested zero and still does and PO4 I've been sitting between 0.05 and 0.1ppm up from about 0.01-0.03. Algae of course is noticeably darker but I've noticed polyps coming out on some previously stalled smooth skin acros. It's a trend in the positive direction but I will keep updating here.

Ammonium chloride depletes alk. Ammonium bicarbonate is alk neutral as long as nitrate is stable.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's all a matter of whether or not you have a surplus. If your coral are consuming all of your ammonia then nitrate won't rise (and may fall).

If you're worried about an over dose after a single dose then test for ammonia.

If you're looking to see if you're adding too little or too much over the course of a day or days then test nitrate.

Right. Dose just right, nitrate is stable. Dose too much and it rises. Dose too little and it falls.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I better be checking my alk more often then!
For me it was only a minor adjustment but this is why I’m thinking of switching to ammonium bicarbonate when I’m out of ammonium chloride. It just feels counterproductive in my teeny little brain ha. Reality has been not that bad (as far as the gross effect on Alk) at all.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Right. Dose just right, nitrate is stable. Dose too much and it rises. Dose too little and it falls.
excellent thanks! this is exactly the answer I was looking for. will report back after a few week or so for sure.

John Biddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent thanks! this is exactly the answer I was looking for. will report back after a few week or so for sure.
My understanding, open to correction of course I'm far from an expert, is that the reason to dose ammonium (bicarbonate or chloride) is that corals prefer to get their nitrogen from ammonium over nitrite and even more so over nitrate. That's because the coral must first convert the nitrite or nitrate to ammonium before it can be used, but doesn't have to when using ammonium directly. This wastes coral energy and would be avoided if possible.

If you have no tank NO3, you don't know if you are nitrogen limited (not as much nitrogen as the corals want). That is, there might be unmet desire for more nitrogen. I would think, perhaps naively, that nitrogen being limited would to some extent limit growth and/or health. At 0 NO3 you probably are N limited, but you don't know the extent to which it's true. In that situation you might want to first up your nitrate dosage gradually until your tank NO3 rises and stop the increase when it settles where you want it to.

Then, or if you are already at a steady NO3 tank value that you are comfortable with, dosing ammonium is just a replacement for dosing NO3 and as your ammonium dose goes up the NO3 dose must correspondingly go down to maintain the equilibrium, whatever value it's at. @Randy Holmes-Farley may be able to provide an equivalence equation for how much to adjust one for the other to keep the balance and avoid trial by error.

I would think, again perhaps naively, that we would want to provide as much nitrogen via ammonium as the corals want to take up, so long as we can do it safely, ammonium being toxic to fish, inverts and corals. Low levels of ammonium are hard/impossible to test for at the hobbyist level so erring on the safe side is advised. Randy has offered up his recommendations early in this thread but if I remember correctly recommends dosing to bring the tank to 0.1 ppm ammonium, but thinks 0.2 ppm would also be safe and thinks 0.3 ppm doses may be as well.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • Full frame

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • All of the above

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back