Nitrite wont go down

sebastiaan153

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i set my aquarium up about 3-4 weeks.
After a week i added 2 clowns and a shrimp. Now i know thats early. I used reel reef rock and reef sand also i used live seawater. How my nitrite has been high for a week i used nite out for a week but still the values are high what should i do ???

OP
OP
sebastiaan153

sebastiaan153

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoops I thought I saw nitrates not nitrite:) that number doesn't matter:)

Stop testing for it and enjoy your tank… that’s what you should do! lol… it doesn’t matter in a reef tank and doesn’t hurt anything! What’s your nitrates at?
Nitrate is about 15ppm

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even some bacterial products that do a good job of quickly oxidizing ammonia to nitrite can sometimes leave nitrite hanging around a long time - weeks and weeks.
nitrite oxidizers can be very slow to catch up. It's not unusual or concerning.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a week i added 2 clowns and a shrimp. Now i know thats early. I used reel reef rock and reef sand also i used live seawater. How my nitrite has been high for a week i used nite out for a week but still the values are high what should i do ???
I think you answered your own question. You are rushing things. Slow down and stop putting “fix in a bottle” chemicals in your tank. The nitrites will come down with time as your bacteria get established. You may want to check for ammonia if you haven’t already. Don’t add any more livestock until you get those nitrites down or you risk ammonia spike that could wipe out your existing fish.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever you’re using most likely “API” test kit is giving you a false reading.. any signs of nitrite your nitrates would be through the roof! You said nitrates are 15 so it’s cycled, time to stop adding any chemicals and just enjoy your tank.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%

Back