Tired of AC bricks? Try the DCBuddy

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You guys dismissed controllability early on which was a mistake IMHO.

A controllable module that emulates and EB8/EB832 would have been enormously useful.

Either make it that one can control ON/OFF state of the 12/24V outputs via APEX or provide a board with relays that emulates an EB strip - PLEASE

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Looks like a fun project but without an APEX (CANbus) controllability you're reinventing the wheel when a solid tested industrial solution already exists.

You need a power supply with outputs use these - all neatly mounted on a DIN rail.

1716917534395.png

+ This.

Notice there is a 6-Position, 12 Position, 18 Position and A-Z sells every possible combination of fused, unfused, manually switched, etc, etc,

1716917567485.png

You want two power supplies for redundancy

Use 2 of these these

1716917612816.png

plus this

1716917781909.png

Plus a combination of these and you're in business.

1716917802556.png

You say...but I want to incorporate battery backup, well that's already covered too.

Throw this into the mix and you have a great battery backup!

1716917970678.png

You want 12V instead of 24V, yeah you get the point - that's covered too.

You know what's not covered? CONTROLLABILITY via APEX!

Control each output in a manner you'd control outlets in an EB8/832 and you have an amazing device. One can then wire relays and create their entire control walls with both low voltage outputs and high voltage outputs via relays.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a fun project but without an APEX (CANbus) controllability you're reinventing the wheel when a solid tested industrial solution already exists.

You need a power supply with outputs use these - all neatly mounted on a DIN rail.

1716917534395.png

+ This.

Notice there is a 6-Position, 12 Position, 18 Position and A-Z sells every possible combination of fused, unfused, manually switched, etc, etc,

1716917567485.png

You want two power supplies for redundancy

Use 2 of these these

1716917612816.png

plus this

1716917781909.png

Plus a combination of these and you're in business.

1716917802556.png

You say...but I want to incorporate battery backup, well that's already covered too.

Throw this into the mix and you have a great battery backup!

1716917970678.png

You want 12V instead of 24V, yeah you get the point - that's covered too.

You know what's not covered? CONTROLLABILITY via APEX!

Control each output in a manner you'd control outlets in an EB8/832 and you have an amazing device. One can then wire relays and create their entire control walls with both low voltage outputs and high voltage outputs via relays.

The current version features both per port on/off control, current monitoring, and OCP. It doesn't integrate with an APEX (being proprietary and all), but thats what both the local web interface, CANbus, and Home Assistant integration are for :)

I don't have a DIN rail mount, but the back dovetail mounts would allow a quick adapter to be made if you're already rail-enabled.

Last edited:
OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who is not tech savvy, whats the best way to go about Home Assistant? I ordered HA Green, but let me tell you what.. getting this thing to work... is a nightmare.. cant even connect to the thing to do the initial set up.

My recommendation would be the Home Assistant Green or Yellow as a managed box to run HA on.

As for the initial setup, its been pretty flawless for me, but sometimes the DNS name system can just go weird. If you can figure out the IP it got from your router, getting to http://thatip:8123 should get you to the setup wizard.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The current version features both per port on/off control, current monitoring, and OCP. It doesn't integrate with an APEX (being proprietary and all), but thats what both the local web interface, CANbus, and Home Assistant integration are for :)

I don't have a DIN rail mount, but the back dovetail mounts would allow a quick adapter to be made if you're already rail-enabled.

So you're saying that futzing with another web interface, canbus and/or home assistant integration beats the ease of plugging it into an APEX via Aquabus and having it show up on the dashboard?

Neptune Systems wouldn't release anything like I described above because it would canibalize the sales of their EBs, but you've missed a huge market of APEX users who would enjoy a plug-n-play solution.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying that futzing with another web interface, canbus and/or home assistant integration beats the ease of plugging it into an APEX via Aquabus and having it show up on the dashboard?

Neptune Systems wouldn't release anything like I described above because it would canibalize the sales of their EBs, but you've missed a huge market of APEX users who would enjoy a plug-n-play solution.

I'm not interested in supporting a proprietary ecosystem and especially building a product around it. The Home Assistant integration is frankly just as easy to setup. I am ignoring all the APEX customers (I'm one of them!) but I'm tired of all the little silos forming in the automation world. HA can bridge APEX to other devices, which is what I use it for amongst a host of other automation functions.

There are ways of doing this, as emulating an EB832 over AquaBus (which is CAN signaled but isn't CAN) is possible, but its going to be a reverse engineering and integration challenge, with a party who isn't at all interested in you doing this.

The firmware is open and I'm not stopping anyone from doing this - the CAN bus hardware is even there (though by default runs as true CAN bus, it can be routed to a UART)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
... but I'm tired of all the little silos forming in the automation world.
That, you'll never change.

There are ways of doing this, as emulating an EB832 over AquaBus (which is CAN signaled but isn't CAN) is possible, but its going to be a reverse engineering and integration challenge, with a party who isn't at all interested in you doing this. The firmware is open and I'm not stopping you :)

Hoping @_AV saves the day and introduces an emulation board sooner or later but I understand why you're not interested.

I don't have the skill/equipment necessary to develop this - you each do.

One can hope.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back